too cold?

dot

Yesterday my son went to do a test and the meter told him there was an error as the machine was too cold. Apparently it wont work at below 6degrees C.

Any one else come up against this?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
This does happen, best advice if outside in cold weather is to wrap meter case in bubble wrap and keep it next to body to keep it warm.

Fujifilm

Happened to me as well, the one I keep in the car would not work. It was cold last night though, had to chase brass monkeys off the garden :D

Clarky

I got the same problem, I work outside and usually keep a meter on me. I've got an Accu-Chek Compact plus and although it tells me it's too cold, it will still test, but the readings can't be trusted. I have to keep it in the car now wrapped in bubble wrap. Bit of a pain, but we struggle on don't we :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Dot,

I don't know why, but for the first time in 20+years of testing, my meter would not work in the cold. I have not come across this, perhaps the meters are more sensitive to temperature change?

What I did was to hold the meter under my arm for about 30 seconds to warm it through, seems to do the job!

Regards

Nigel

badmedisin

Never come across that, but I did have one that completely died after lost property at heathrow airport put my entire kit in the freezer even though I specifically asked them not to. So don't put your meter in the freezer.

Stupid cold weather - the heater at work won't switch on when it's this cold! Useful.

chocoholic

This happened to me last year. It was particularly cold and I was feeling hypo on a walk but could not get my meter to work. Just had something sweet to eat and waited in my car until the meter heated up enough to test but I didn't like feeling 'not in control'.