Too hot!!!

mouseee

Been away for a while again, doing better with LC than at full lockdown but not perfectly and now in need of advice!
I was diagnosed T2 a year ago so last years heat played havoc with me as I had such high blood sugars at the time.
This year, in this heat wave, I am struggling just as badly to be honest despite lower blood sugars. I feel ill if I'm not in direct line of a fan, I'm also struggling with eating. I just dont want to! I have had only a coffee with a splash of milk this morning and bs is 6.7 so still a bit high for eating nothing. Yesterday I ate hardly anything and bs fluctuated but around the 7 mark. (Ate some sliced chicken)
So... what to do when hit by hot weather? What are your tips for dealing with the heat?
I'm never brilliant in really hot weather, I'm the one in the sunglasses, shade and a hat but any ideas gratefully recieved!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lots of ice cubes in cold drinks. When we lived in Singapore, my mum used to tell me to run a flannel under the hot tap, as hot as you can stand it. Leave on your face for a minute or so. Remove the flannel do not dry your face.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Run cold water over your wrists and ankles. Rinse a flannel in cold water and place it on the back of your neck. Leave the cool water on your skin and turn on your fan. Neck, wrist and ankles are where blood vessels run close to the surface of the skin. Heat transfers from the blood to the cooler water which then evaporates. This process can be speeded up by the use of the fan.
No hot food or drinks.
Minimise movement!
Also, place a bowl of cold water with ice-cubes in front of the fan so that the air being circulated has been cooled. And, if y o u have double glazing. Although it is counterintuitive, only open windows briefly in the early morning. Let the cooler air in, then shut the windows and close all the blinds and curtains. This creates a kind of cool cave effect.
I'm in London and so far I have not had to use the electric fan nor had a broken night's sleep. Today is going to reach 37C again!

Last edited:

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wear loose, light clothing, stay in the shade, stay hydrated, cover up when outside i.e. long sleeves, and long trousers/dresses. and wear a hat.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Iced coffee is nice.
I just go Mediterranean....lots of sitting inside in the day and only opening windows when the temperature outside us cooler than in. Curtains kept shut all day to keep heat out.
Lots of cool fluids and don't bother about food
Also a mini milk ice cream is only 4 gs carb

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might be better with cool rather than cold, I learnt this in a heat wave in Egypt. Room temp water, room temp foods etc, also it's fine to fast. A cool cloth to back of neck is good. Go slow. Also it's a few weeks out of many so don't sweat (joke) the BG spikes.