too little carbs for too much insulin

rachy0121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being diabetic!!
finally just got my carb count bang on, injected, then didnt even eat the whole thing! so now ill most likely go low before bed and have to eat and i wont even be hungry :(

nicolan6534

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, I have also found it really frustrating that I felt I had to eat everything on my plate as i'd taken the insulin to cover it. My DNS advised me to inject once I've finished meals which I was much happier with. Although I'm now experiencing high readings 2hrs after meals so think the timing of insulin working versus food digestion is out of kilter.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@rachy: If you don't finish a meal you can try to work out how many carbs are still on your plate, and cover them with something that has a lot of carbs but isn't very filling. E.g. dried fruit, fruit bars, or swap your water for a fruit juice or full-sugar soft drink.

@nicolan: in your situation, a good insulin pump is an option to consider.

nicolan6534

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks mentat - I think I'll discuss a pump at my next appointment. I've never been keen on the idea of a pump but the more I read on this forum, the more I think it would help. Though it sounds like a struggle to get one!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
nicolan6534 said:
I've never been keen on the idea of a pump

The main advantage of pumps is that you can be more spontaneous; skip meals, suddenly decide to do exercise, etc.

EVERYONE feels uncomfortable about a permanently attached device before they try it. Most of them get over it. If you can find someone in person who wears one and see what it looks like and have a chat you might feel better! Or look at pictures online - it's probably less daunting than you expect.

rachy0121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being diabetic!!
Do you know never even though of replacing the carbs one plate with ones that were less filling. As predicted I has two hypos last night and had to go straight to bed after sorting them out.
Thankyou for that. Even though it seems simple it never entered my head to do so!!