too much alcohol and metformin

Maradona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on metformin 1500mg per day and over indulged last night. (3 double brandy's, one pint of beer and 4 glasses of wine).
I know it was very silly but I forgot about the possible risks.

Today I feel rough - I think its just a hangover and also had cramp in my leg during the night.

So my question is - has anyone else been so silly? or know of anyone who has had lactic acidosis?
Also how quickly it can occur after drinking?

Thanks

Reactions: Craig381sara

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are the signs of lactic acidosis with metformin?
The symptoms of lactic acidosis include abdominal or stomach discomfort; decreased appetite; diarrhea; fast, shallow breathing; a general feeling of discomfort; muscle pain or cramping; and unusual sleepiness, tiredness, or weakness. If you have any symptoms of lactic acidosis, get emergency medical help right away.

The above from Google.
Info might not help if you only had one cramp - not sure.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on metformin 1500mg per day and over indulged last night. (3 double brandy's, one pint of beer and 4 glasses of wine).
I know it was very silly but I forgot about the possible risks.

Today I feel rough - I think its just a hangover and also had cramp in my leg during the night.

So my question is - has anyone else been so silly? or know of anyone who has had lactic acidosis?
Also how quickly it can occur after drinking?

Thanks

I've never taken Metformin, so can't comment on that, but if I recall correctly, I think my colleague @andcol suffered with that, nearing the beginning of his diabetes journey.

Apologies if I mis-remembered Andcol.

jwd1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too had a heavy night on red wine and woke up with nasty leg cramp, inner thigh, and my blood sugar reading at 8.9 this am., whereas my reading late night before was 5.6. Question :- is cramp likely to push blood glucose readings?