Too much insulin

Jackie006

Has anyone ever accidently injected too much insulin and ended up with a seizure I did at weekend and it's really scared me

ROE100

Yes given too much but never had a seizure and sorry to hear this happen to you - do you know why you injected too much?

In my situation it was after injecting bolus instead of basal insulin it suddendly dawns on you that you given the wrong insulin before bed so you start eating food and this is not something I like to do before bed in those quantities. At that time I had vials and needles all in one location - I then changed things to try and stop this occuring again by moving the location/storage of basal vial. Now a bit easier as I still have vial & needle (please don't judge) and the insulin pen for the other so a lot easier to notice before you inject.

Jackie006

Yes given too much but never had a seizure and sorry to hear this happen to you - do you know why you injected too much?

In my situation it was after injecting bolus instead of basal insulin it suddendly dawns on you that you given the wrong insulin before bed so you start eating food and this is not something I like to do before bed in those quantities. At that time I had vials and needles all in one location - I then changed things to try and stop this occuring again by moving the location/storage of basal vial. Now a bit easier as I still have vial & needle (please don't judge) and the insulin pen for the other so a lot easier to notice before you inject.
I think I was thinking of my lantus and did 18 of apidra I went from 10.9 to 2.6 in a hour which is a big drop

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Has anyone ever accidently injected too much insulin and ended up with a seizure I did at weekend and it's really scared me
Yes, over 20 years ago and I was weirdly aware of the fitting. Blood meter reading of 1.3, not for the first time, but it was the only
fitting my family are aware of. Hypo's, apart from being unpleasant, can be very scary. I used to have auras that were almost like huge sunflower heads blotting vision, while desperately looking for something to eat. I have also been unconscious right through 12 hours and presume the liver eventually kicked in. We survive - I hope life improves for you.

Jackie006

Yes, over 20 years ago and I was weirdly aware of the fitting. Blood meter reading of 1.3, not for the first time, but it was the only
fitting my family are aware of. Hypo's, apart from being unpleasant, can be very scary. I used to have auras that were almost like huge sunflower heads blotting vision, while desperately looking for something to eat. I have also been unconscious right through 12 hours and presume the liver eventually kicked in. We survive - I hope life improves for you.
Thankyou it scared me so much

ROE100

I think I was thinking of my lantus and did 18 of apidra I went from 10.9 to 2.6 in a hour which is a big drop

Yes that is a largest drop - as I mention in my first reply I also did the same injected bolus (then I was on Humalog) instead of basal (then I was on Lantus) but I fortunately was aware after the injection what I had done so ate to counter this injection - is there something you can change so you don't repeat the same issue. I changed locations of things.

Jackie006

Yes that is a largest drop - as I mention in my first reply I also did the same injected bolus (then I was on Humalog) instead of basal (then I was on Lantus) but I fortunately was aware after the injection what I had done so ate to counter this injection - is there something you can change so you don't repeat the same issue. I changed locations of things.
I will think of a way of not doing it again

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I switched to always injecting basal before bolus injections after I accidentally injected the wrong dose. Before that I used to do the bolus dose first which for me is much smaller than basal. I hope that I don't mix them up again but only time will tell :(
I also probably double check a bit more after getting it wrong once :)

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
A few years back, I accidentally gave me a Novorapid instead of a Levemir injection just before I was going to bed at around 10PM. At the time, I was normally injecting 10u Novorapid befor meals, 40u Levemir before bedtime. Fortunately, I realized that I injected the wrong insulin as I was putting the pen down. My remedy was to take my blood sugar level every 15 minutes, and eat a teaspoon of honey. It was only around 4am the next morning that my blood sugar stabilized. I no longer give myself and insulin injection at bedtime because of this.

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes . This happened to me a couple of weeks ago
I've been trying to.post about it since. So so awful
Scared me really badly. First time ever this has happened to me. Family had to call an ambulance. I had to.go to.hospital.

Ever since I've been really really upset and suddenly injecting insulin has become scary. I've kept my sugars way too high since. Just because of the fear of it happening again. I'm actually traumatised. I.know I'm sounding a bit melodramatic but honestly I thought I was going to die. As did my family. Its really made me realise how serious this condition is.

I'm hoping someone can tell me I will get over this and get back to my normal injecting and levels back in the single digits. I know the risks of high sugars but right now I'd rather be high than low.

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi yes since it happened to me I have been keeping my sugars high hopefully we will get over being nervous soon
Its been 3 weeks for me so far , fingers crossed it gets easier . It s just so very scary.
Did u end up in hospital or calling an ambulance?

Jackie006

Its been 3 weeks for me so far , fingers crossed it gets easier . It s just so very scary.
Did u end up in hospital or calling an ambulance?
Yes I ended up in hospital for a few hours sugars are still staying up hopefully they return to normal soon dnt like them being too high