Too much protein?

johnrubinstein

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In an LCHF diet, can you overdo the percentage of protein to the point where you can cause kidney damage?

Hope this question makes sense.

Thanks

John

Reactions: Freema

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In an LCHF diet, can you overdo the percentage of protein to the point where you can cause kidney damage?

Thanks

John
If your question is whether what you consider too much protein could cause Kidney damage, in healthy folks, I have read a few papers that debunk that supposition.
If you however want to know if "ADEQUATE" protein is essential in a well formulated ketogenic diet, I tend to go to the guys who know best. By that I mean the people who have looked into it, studied it, and base their opinion on hard facts.
This is one such opinion

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks

John
Nope
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1262767/ Not without kidney damage being present and even then...
Although excessive protein intake remains a health concern in individuals with pre-existing renal disease, the literature lacks significant research demonstrating a link between protein intake and the initiation or progression of renal disease in healthy individuals. More importantly, evidence suggests that protein-induced changes in renal function are likely a normal adaptative mechanism well within the functional limits of a healthy kidney.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The video above is well worth watching and if you are up for it Prof. Stuart Phillips also debunks protein/renal probs on YouTube.

Reactions: johnrubinstein