Toothache and T1

StaceyEmma

Hi guys and girls. So I’m still learning about being T1 and for the last few days I’ve had very little sleep due to excruciating pain through my teeth into my jaw and ear, can’t get into the dentist until Friday morning.
Doing all the usual stuff with pain relief with very limited success just makes me a bit drowsy and dulls the pain but I’m finding it difficult to remember to test and injection around meal times due to the pain. What can I do until I’ve been seen by the dentist?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @StaceyEmma,
Sorry to hear of your tooth woes!
Not sure what type of diabetes you have been diagnosed with, as this can influence what is suggested to you.
Tooth troubles are sometimes the bane of diabetes as the pain, inflammation etc do not do our bsls ( blood sugar levels) any favours.
It could be all sorts of things causing your pain and only your dentist can really diagnose it.
But if you develop a high temperature ( i was told more than 38 degrees C) or swelling it may be important to let the dentist to know between now and yourvappointment as sometimes an infection may make it difficult for you to be able to open your mouth sufficiently for dental work later, without an dose of antibiotic before hand ( at least that was advice given to me).
With tooth pain i tend to avoid cold or hot beverages and food that requires chewing or has to be crunched as these things may trigger more pain.
Are you measuring your bsls? If you can that will give you an idea of how the tooth troubles are impacting on them, but without further information on that front i am unable to suggest more.
As all do with tooth troubles i hope time passes quickly and your troubles are easily sorted.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I agree with kitedoc; last year I had a repeating abscess on an sevrely impacted lower wisdom tooth and whilst waiting to go to hospital to have it removed in the day surgery unit I ended up not being able to open my mouth more than a tiny bit. I had to use a tiny baby's toothbrush as it was all I could get in my mouth, and my food had to be liquidised....

Go to the dentist - if it's an infection they will prescribe the appropriate antibiotics, and at that level of pain most dentists would see you as an emergency. That might involve going along and waiting awhile but it might be worth it.

StaceyEmma

As I state in the title of the thread I’m type 1.
My problem is due to the pain I’m forgetting to test my bsl and also inject my insulin around meal times.
I’m taking regular paracetamol, ibrufen and codeine. Had a less painful night last night thanks to the addition of the codeine and also sleeping/ laying on a cold damp facecloth.
I have a dentist appointment Friday morning first thing that was the soonest as an emergency appointment.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As I state in the title of the thread I’m type 1.
My problem is due to the pain I’m forgetting to test my bsl and also inject my insulin around meal times.
I’m taking regular paracetamol, ibrufen and codeine. Had a less painful night last night thanks to the addition of the codeine and also sleeping/ laying on a cold damp facecloth.
I have a dentist appointment Friday morning first thing that was the soonest as an emergency appointment.
Hello, I'm glad you got an appointment for friday, I hope it's not an infection. Not testing with high bgs and not injecting insulin will be a breeding place for infections and the mouth is one of those places. For time being I'd say try your best to test at each meal and prior to your meal, try and inject the insulin for the carbs in your meal. If you can floss or buy tepe brushes and some mouth wash to help with your dental hygiene to reduce the bacteria for the infection to breed on. Salty warm water does help with pain as well.

Reactions: StaceyEmma

StaceyEmma

Hello, I'm glad you got an appointment for friday, I hope it's not an infection. Not testing with high bgs and not injecting insulin will be a breeding place for infections and the mouth is one of those places. For time being I'd say try your best to test at each meal and prior to your meal, try and inject the insulin for the carbs in your meal. If you can floss or buy tepe brushes and some mouth wash to help with your dental hygiene to reduce the bacteria for the infection to breed on. Salty warm water does help with pain as well.

I’m not going as high as I was when I do remember to test and inject. I don’t think it helps much that we’ve had a lot of company around meal times this week. So rushing to the table to get my seat.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m not going as high as I was when I do remember to test and inject. I don’t think it helps much that we’ve had a lot of company around meal times this week. So rushing to the table to get my seat.

You are trying :( What I will emphasis is to check regularly because pain does tend to make BGs run a bit higher.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Oil of cloves ... huge help