1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Toujeo - anyone using it?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by cz_dave, Nov 28, 2015.

1. cz_dave

cz_dave Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My endo has given me Toujeo to try. I am currently on Levemir.

Has anyone any experience with Toujeo?

2. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

3. cz_dave

Thanks, @tim2000s. Looks like I should stick to Levemir then. It seems to work ok for me. I just get the occasional lumps after injecting.

4. Dudeitsme

Dudeitsme Type 1 · Newbie

Yes and I highly recommend it, I have been type 1 for 42 years always insulin dependant and have never got a A1C below 8.0. After 3 months on toujeo I got a A1C today at 6.2 Can I get an AMEN!!!!!

• Like Like x 6
  5. cz_dave

What did you use before?

6. Natalie1974

Natalie1974 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

AMEN!!! @Dudeitsme Well done you...that's a remarkable improvement...I will have to do a bit of research on this one :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. totsy

totsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

well done;)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dudeitsme

cz_dave, I have used Lantus since it was first put on the market, I guess 8-10 years ago. The toujeo has done wonder for night time highs and lows. I wake up with a straight line throughout the night. At the same time I started toujeo I also was introduced to the G5 CGM ( constant glucose monitor) made by DEXCOM. So I can not give total credit to the insulin because knowing what your glucose level is every five minutes while also knowing whether you are level going up or falling is a BIG help in controlling your numbers. I just got an A1C yesterday 5-23-16 and it was a 5.7 So I will say kudos to both Toujeo and Dexcom because they have dramatically improved my health. Good luck with yours. Thank you Lord for healing us all!

• Like Like x 2
  9. cz_dave

That sounds great. I have some Toujeo pens in my fridge and I want to give Toujeo a try at some point.

By the, how many units of Lantus did you take and how many units do you take on Toujeo?

10. Dudeitsme

I use exactly the same for both Lantus andtoujeo40 units at bedtime

• Like Like x 2
  11. B583

B583 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm transfering onto Toujeo shortly, having seen DSN today. Not been told a great deal in terms of changes to look for or effects, just ensured I understood the insulin's method of working & its flexibility. Any advice on it would be appreciated, from new or current users. Been on Lantus for years myself, having difficulties along the way!!
    Brad

12. cuxy88

cuxy88 Type 1 · Active Member

I am using it but having problems with my diabetes any way so can not say if it helps but it is said to be the best

Sent from my SM-T555 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

13. mattmo86

mattmo86 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey, I've just started using Toujeo this week, not sure my dose is right yet as waking up high, but seem to ve fine when I'm up and working

Sent from my E6653 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

14. B583

I've collected toujeo pens this morning. Is there any side effects to be aware of in the first week? Just taking it once at night from tonight, all going well.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

15. Clockhouse

Clockhouse Type 1 · Newbie

I started to take toujeo a few months ago and as I have been diabetic since 1979, I have only changed my regime of insulin once before, so I was unsure of the outcome and effects on me. I am very happy with the blood sugar results which I now get and also the fact that my 4 daily injections are condensed into all 4 being taken and no more after having my evening meal, is quite good I would say. Give it a go and let it settle down for about a month. You may then find everything starts to fall into place. Good luck

• Like Like x 2
  16. Clockhouse

I took 60 units of Lantus and when it moved to the toujeo it was good for me at 48 units and I still that dose now along with my novo rapid after meals.

17. Clockhouse

Hey Brad, try not to panic or worry about the toujeo, it will take a few weeks to completely settle into your routine but once you get in the swing of things, hopefully lots more will level out well like blood sugars and meals etc. I hope this is of some help to you............Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  18. B583

Hey @Clockhouse thanks for the info. I find my BG's not well controlled because each day is different with me & the work I do is variable in how much exercise I do or energy/sugars I burn. Having started with Toujeo, I reduced the amount by 2 units having been on Lantus, however I remained high <15mmol/l, since increasing it up 2 units & worked 2 shifts with it, I've had mild hypo's but kept in range of >13mmol/l, that's only 5 days in!! As you say I'll give it more time to settle & work with my routine etc before making any more changes. How long do you leave it to take effect once a change has been made? Not that I adjust my basal much before anyways. Thanks

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook