Toujeo - anyone using it?

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My endo has given me Toujeo to try. I am currently on Levemir.

Has anyone any experience with Toujeo?

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, @tim2000s. Looks like I should stick to Levemir then. It seems to work ok for me. I just get the occasional lumps after injecting.

Dudeitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Yes and I highly recommend it, I have been type 1 for 42 years always insulin dependant and have never got a A1C below 8.0. After 3 months on toujeo I got a A1C today at 6.2 Can I get an AMEN!!!!!

Reactions: 6 people

Dudeitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
cz_dave, I have used Lantus since it was first put on the market, I guess 8-10 years ago. The toujeo has done wonder for night time highs and lows. I wake up with a straight line throughout the night. At the same time I started toujeo I also was introduced to the G5 CGM ( constant glucose monitor) made by DEXCOM. So I can not give total credit to the insulin because knowing what your glucose level is every five minutes while also knowing whether you are level going up or falling is a BIG help in controlling your numbers. I just got an A1C yesterday 5-23-16 and it was a 5.7 So I will say kudos to both Toujeo and Dexcom because they have dramatically improved my health. Good luck with yours. Thank you Lord for healing us all!

Reactions: 2 people

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds great. I have some Toujeo pens in my fridge and I want to give Toujeo a try at some point.

By the, how many units of Lantus did you take and how many units do you take on Toujeo?

Dudeitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds great. I have some Toujeo pens in my fridge and I want to give Toujeo a try at some point.

By the, how many units of Lantus did you take and how many units do you take on Toujeo?
I use exactly the same for both Lantus andtoujeo40 units at bedtime

B583

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
MARMITE!!
I'm transfering onto Toujeo shortly, having seen DSN today. Not been told a great deal in terms of changes to look for or effects, just ensured I understood the insulin's method of working & its flexibility. Any advice on it would be appreciated, from new or current users. Been on Lantus for years myself, having difficulties along the way!!
Brad

B583

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
MARMITE!!
I've collected toujeo pens this morning. Is there any side effects to be aware of in the first week? Just taking it once at night from tonight, all going well.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Clockhouse

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I started to take toujeo a few months ago and as I have been diabetic since 1979, I have only changed my regime of insulin once before, so I was unsure of the outcome and effects on me. I am very happy with the blood sugar results which I now get and also the fact that my 4 daily injections are condensed into all 4 being taken and no more after having my evening meal, is quite good I would say. Give it a go and let it settle down for about a month. You may then find everything starts to fall into place. Good luck

Clockhouse

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I took 60 units of Lantus and when it moved to the toujeo it was good for me at 48 units and I still that dose now along with my novo rapid after meals.
I am using it but having problems with my diabetes any way so can not say if it helps but it is said to be the best

Sent from my SM-T555 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Clockhouse

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm transfering onto Toujeo shortly, having seen DSN today. Not been told a great deal in terms of changes to look for or effects, just ensured I understood the insulin's method of working & its flexibility. Any advice on it would be appreciated, from new or current users. Been on Lantus for years myself, having difficulties along the way!!
Brad
Hey Brad, try not to panic or worry about the toujeo, it will take a few weeks to completely settle into your routine but once you get in the swing of things, hopefully lots more will level out well like blood sugars and meals etc. I hope this is of some help to you............Good luck.

B583

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
MARMITE!!
Hey @Clockhouse thanks for the info. I find my BG's not well controlled because each day is different with me & the work I do is variable in how much exercise I do or energy/sugars I burn. Having started with Toujeo, I reduced the amount by 2 units having been on Lantus, however I remained high <15mmol/l, since increasing it up 2 units & worked 2 shifts with it, I've had mild hypo's but kept in range of >13mmol/l, that's only 5 days in!! As you say I'll give it more time to settle & work with my routine etc before making any more changes. How long do you leave it to take effect once a change has been made? Not that I adjust my basal much before anyways. Thanks