Transition From Pump Too Injections

BUZZ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am going on holiday and have decided to have a pump holiday too and revert back to my injections. My BG is normally perfect on my pump however since the switch over to injections they have gone crazy. Has anyone else had this problem? If so how did you overcome it. Did you have to take a lot more insulin? My nurse brushed over what to do but this hasn't worked. TIA

D

Deleted Account

I had a forced pumpholiday recently.
After 2.5 years of non stop pumping, I found injections frustrating with much less control due to larger insulin doses and single basal.
During this time my levels were up and Dow much more than usual.
I also visited hypo lad for a few days when I returned to pumping.
I think this had something to do with low level Lantus hanging around.
So, be prepared to reduce your basal when you return to your pump: mine was reduced by 50%

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Several years ago I had a pump separation for 5 days = sheer horror, up and down BSL s etc. partly because I was in hospital for non-diabetes reasons and no pump allowed ( heathens !!).
The only saving grace I think was that my long-acting insulin was Levemir and i transitioned back to a pump fairly easily.
The difference in pump basal vs Levemir basal was approx. 35%.
Personally I would not switch from using my insulin pump back to mdi for for any reason within my control !!.

Reactions: Engineer88

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I too had an enforced pump holiday last year when mine broke, and I had a few weeks before obtaining a new one. At the time, I was following a carb-based diet, and snacking reasonably often, so I did find the numerous injections a bit tedious. Even so, I've been wondering about the pros and cons of going back to MDI again...

I've been following a keto diet for almost six months now, and BG control is much more stable, so I could see a way to have only five injections a day - one per meal, plus a split Levemir dose. The main drawbacks as I see them are, first, basal profile not matching my body's needs as closely, and second, lack of IoB calculator for the purpose of correction doses. I was wondering about using a mix of NPH and Levemir to tailor the basal profile a bit...

I've been using a pump for over ten years now, and have infused via my buttocks the whole time. I'm now finding absorption is becoming hit and miss. So I'm trying out angled cannulas in my abdomen. I'm pretty lean, so it's a bit tricky finding suitable sites. I often have to try two or three different abdominal sites before finding one that's comfortable. Even then, it usually becomes uncomfortable after two days.