Travel in warm climates with insulin

CFitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Can I ask how people have managed when travelling in hot countries with their insulin? For example taking an < day long bus trip between locations abroad where there wont be a fridge. I feel frozen ice packs wont stay frozen for long and I find frio wallets are only good at keeping it a few degrees below ambient :s im newly diagnosed and don’t want to say bye to interesting travel because of this :(

D

Deleted Account

I have always used Frio wallets and found them more than enough for travelling through hot countries in Africa, South American and Asia including tropical and desert environments.
If you are concerned, I would put a bit of extra padding around them for insulation such as some extra clothes and make sure you keep the insulin out of direct sunlight.

CFitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have always used Frio wallets and found them more than enough for travelling through hot countries in Africa, South American and Asia including tropical and desert environments.
If you are concerned, I would put a bit of extra padding around them for insulation such as some extra clothes and make sure you keep the insulin out of direct sunlight.

Aah, ok, thanks! maybe i need to give the frio wallets another chance then! Do you make sure they are open to the air so they can evaporate properly?

D

Deleted Account

Aah, ok, thanks! maybe i need to give the frio wallets another chance then! Do you make sure they are open to the air so they can evaporate properly?
I make sure they are not in plastic bags but apart from that, I just leave them to do their thing.
They do not keep the insulin freezing cold but cool enough not to damage the insulin.

Reactions: CFitzgerald