Travel Insurance?

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its the first time I will be going away since my diagnosis and I would appreciate any input from members on here regarding reliable Travel Insurance companies for people with pre-existing medical conditions?

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've used Insure and Go in the past and they were good. Someone else mentioned they had claimed through them too.

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know some people have had issues obtaining insurance, but I never had. Just been to the states and had no issues. Just be honest on the form, declare the type 1 diabetes. The companies are interested in how many times you have been hospitalised etc, but if you are well controlled and generally in good heath, the insurance is provided at a reasonable cost. I guess issues and higher premium may arise if you are not well controlled and have had seious hypos or associated conditions.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dunno about reliable travel insurance, because, touch wood, I've never had to claim on my travel insurance. Never had a problem getting covered as a type 1 - make sure you declare the pre existing condition, check the exclusions don't exclude hospitalisation as a result of diabetes (unless you are content with that) and be prepared for a premium to be added on as a result. Its unlikely to be a massive premium if you are newly diagnosed and able to say no diabetic complications.

LauraC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
it's fine.. not usually a problem. although, if you are flying get a letter from your diabetic nurse at the hospital permitting you to carry needles etc just incase you have any problems proving you are diabetic at airports etc... (don't ask your GP they will charge you) my diabetic clinic did me one for free. have a good holiday!