Travel

Connie’s Dad

My wife and daughter are travelling (easyjet) for the 1st time since my daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. She is currently injecting 6 per day and has a libre and miao miao device on her arm.

Are there any special requirements that need to be adhered to? Travel bags for the medicines? Tips and advice?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
A letter off your/her DSN....don't go to your GP as they will charge you. Take 3 times as much as you think you will need. Has where you are going got a fridge in the room for the insulin?
Where are you off to?
More importantly, have an amazing holiday

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Oooops make sure your insurance covers diabetes

D

Deleted Account

I travel a lot and often use EasyJet.
My advice would be ...
  1. Make sure diabetes is covered by your travel insurance
  2. pack at least twice as much of everything you think you may need for the diabetes. This includes test strips, insulin, needles, spare battery for the meter, spare insulin pens and hypo treatment
  3. keep all of this in your hand luggage. Especially the insulin because the hold gets too cold.
  4. get a letter from your diabetes team explaining why this must all be kept with you during travel. In 15 years, I have only needed this letter once. However, I would rather go to the trouble of getting this letter and not needing it than having my diabetes kit taken away from me or being refused travel. Your diabetes team should be used to this request and can provide a generic letter for all future travel
  5. make sure the hypo treatment is close to hand at all time. From personal experience, I can tell you it is not great having a hypo on take off and being shouted at for getting up to get hypo treatment from my bag in the over head locker.
  6. I have never told the airline in advance of my travel but I know some do in order to get approval for a second carry on bag for medicines. I don't find I need the extra bag
  7. If you are going somewhere warm it may be useful to invest in a Frio wallet to keep insulin cool. I bought mine 15 years ago and it is still going.
  8. Have a great trip