shamrock266

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
This site is a pain to navigate. Glad my life doesn't depend on it.

Type 2
Insulin dependent for 9 mos.
Metformin and Lantus both x2 per day
500 Metformin x2
Lantus (currently) 31 units am / 30 units pm

I travel often and extended tho not for last 8 mos as of 11 April 2019. I am often gone 6-8 wks at a time. After searching all over, I cannot find a way to travel for that length of time and carry all insulin required. The travel packs I have seen at best have a duration of 2 weeks if I remember correctly. Often in tropics or 3rd world and out of touch. Any ideas about keeping insulin cool over that time period? Thanks

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I hope you get your answer

Edited by Mod

D

Deleted Account

Hi @shamrock266
Welcome to the Forum. You have probably taken a look around and realised it is made up of friendly people who are either asking for advice or giving up their own time to voluntarily provide assistance based on their experience and knowledge. Any advice provided is not given to waste anyone's time - it is given with a genuine intention to help.
Your travel experience sounds unusual. I assume you are travelling for 6 to 8 weeks without access to a fridge. This would help as insulin survives in and out of the fridge provided it does not get too hot between fridges.
I have always used Frio packs and have used them when camping for 3 weeks in the tropics but not as long as your trips. The great thing is that Frio packs can be "re-changed" with water at any time so, provided you have access to water, they can keep insulin cool for much longer than 2 weeks.
Good luck on finding a solution. If you do, please come back and share your experience. I am sure there are some on the forum who will benefit in some way.

Tooth_Fairy

Well, shamrock266, there are many cooling elements availiable out there in the web. Unfortunately I can't provide any links, but you can find some info by just searching portable cooling unit.

Reactions: shamrock266

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @shamrock266
Good first post!!!! This is usually a very friendly site where people try and help others out with very helpful advise. No one is trying to waste anyones time.....

Anyway.....Frio packs are really good for keeping insulin cool when you have no access to fridges etc. They can be recharged with water every 2 - 3 days and are very effective. Keep us posted on what you do..,....

shamrock266

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi @shamrock266
Good first post!!!! This is usually a very friendly site where people try and help others out with very helpful advise. No one is trying to waste anyones time.....

Anyway.....Frio packs are really good for keeping insulin cool when you have no access to fridges etc. They can be recharged with water every 2 - 3 days and are very effective. Keep us posted on what you do..,....

Thanks for reply porl69. I don't remember much of my post. Not a 'puter whiz and I have cyber fairies to boot I thought I looked at one of those but I'll look again. Long story..I am a back pack world traveler. Got married. My wife has never seen the world and when I was younger staying out 6-8 most at a time. As I said in my text, i'm old and falling apart my A1c went from 5.7 to 10.3 5 mos. I already have enough chains and mill stones to cart around. I would like to know how big the kit is. I'll have at least 10 pens and 8 Trulicity...a week shot once per week. Gotta stay alive til beginning of August. After that I'm free from my promise to take care of myself. If I make it til about mid-fall. I plan on buying a coupla round the world tickets for wifey and myselt. Amazingly cheap but of course you don't get nuthin for nuthin. She has never traveled at all and I would like her to go to some of the places I've been and some I haven't. I'm 75 and know the world can eat and swallow you with out burping. Has almost happened to me when I was in Thailand where a person really can have too much fun. However, I recon I won't be staying in **** holes like the dollar-a-night places I usually use. I'm pretty sure it will be mostly 3* hotels and I know of some good ones from the past and still keep in contact with several friends world wide. I need to take about 15-20 pens and 7 Truliciy. Testing stuff can go baggage. Wife is morbidly obese and the tropics I'm sure will be hard on her and she is not an active person, so hiking in Nepal probably isn't going to happen for her and TBH, me either but I'm going to give it a try anyway. My first trip there Helembu province was restricted and you needed to pay for permit for any kinda of trek. We got a Sherpa guy who coincidentally was on an assault on Mt. Everest was part of a party that made the climb and summited but were out of 02. A friend was on that trek, he got hypoxia and ultimately died and his bod is still there. Tough dude he was, hard as nails but wasn't able to hang in there til they got down to their staging camp. By the time they got up there he had stripped off all his clothes and made a snow trench. Took about a day to get more 02 and take it up but it was to late for him, so they covered him with snow. End of story. His name was Ray Genet. Google him if you like. He was originally Swiss and basically had a sour disposition and an inflated ego....but he didn't have diabetes. Thanks for the advice, I'll check it out and see if it will do what I want it to do. Be well and stay on this side of the dirt tho there are many times, a I have aged, that I've wished I could have checked out when I was in my prime but didn't happened. I'm still here. Never thought I'd see 20. So yeah if folks don't like my 'tude to bad for me or too bad for them. Have a good one!

Reactions: porl69