Type 1 Travelling abroad

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've only been type 1 for 8 weeks after DKA (I'm 55).

I'm.seeing my DSN in 2 days and need to ask her about travelling to Spain for 2 weeks in August and all that I need and how to manage. Atm I'm on set units of novarapid and lantus although adjust up or down a unit as appropriate.

It would be good to hear from some of you before I go to see her so I can discuss ideas with her.

On that note I've seen insulated cool bags for the pens. Are they a good idea?

Thanks from a novice

D

Deleted Account

I travel very frequently with type 1 diabetes.
Most of what you do will be the same as back home as long as you remember to take everything with you.

Packing for my trips often starts with me sitting on the floor counting out needles, lancets, test strips and dextrose to make sure I have enough to take with me. It maybe worthwhile putting in an extra prescription to make sure you have enough supplies to cover you.
I always take twice of everything as I think I need. This includes taking back up pens. If you do not have any spares, this is something to request from your DSN.
In addition to the items mention in the JDRF link from @noblehead, I always ensure I have an official letter explaining that I have diabetes, must take my supplies on the plane and that includes sharps. In fact, I get a little soupcon of joy answering "yes" to the question "do you have any sharps in your hand luggage?".
JDRF suggests splitting your supplies. I avoid this as the letter only says that I am able to carry sharps. Maybe different for children (which JDRF focuses on ... although they have a little bit of adult stuff).

I use Frio bags and have found them fantastic from Ghana to Greece to Venezuela and beyond.
They are not your usual insulated bags that you would put food in. They work by infusing crystals with water which transforms them into a gel which releases the water slowly ... and keeps the insulin cool.
The only word of caution is to hold off soaking the bags until you have landed. I have heard of some over eager security guys getting concerned by the use of gel.

One common question is "what do I do with my sharps?" If you are incredibly lucky, you may be able to dispose of them at the resort. I have never done this: I put them into a small (empty) water bottle and decant them into my sharps box when I get home.

Being on holiday, your usual food, exercise and, maybe, drinking regime may be different. Therefore, you may need to keep a closer eye on your BG which can also be affected by the heat.

Above all, have a great time and don't let diabetes change what you normally do on holiday.

Reactions: 4mum_

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only been type 1 for 8 weeks after DKA (I'm 55).

I'm.seeing my DSN in 2 days and need to ask her about travelling to Spain for 2 weeks in August and all that I need and how to manage. Atm I'm on set units of novarapid and lantus although adjust up or down a unit as appropriate.

It would be good to hear from some of you before I go to see her so I can discuss ideas with her.

On that note I've seen insulated cool bags for the pens. Are they a good idea?

Thanks from a novice
I'd apply for one of these free cards, it will help you avoid hefty medical bills in the unfortunate event that you need treatment (diabetes related or not).

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx

The cards are free by the way, so if you somehow find that a payment needs to be made then it is an illegitimate site.

Reactions: 4mum_ and DavidK59

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks everyone for your advice - it all makes sense- and I won't let it hold me back.

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Helen what size is best for the frio wallet? I'm going to Spain for weeks in a villa and most of it will be lazing. How the the glucose meters fair in hot weather? I'm not sure how long a pen lasts me (not very observant) but I have 15 lantus in the evening and 18 novarapid split through the day. I worked out double would roughly be 5 pens of each. Does that sound about right? Thanks.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't had a problem with the Frio wallets from our security or on foreign soil. I do carry twice as much as I need though and a letter declaring my diabetes. If your pens have 3ml in them that is 300 units so you can work it out from there, just remember to factor in the priming doses for the pens. I try to keep my meter in the shade and haven't had a problem with it. Enjoy your holiday. Also keep all medicines including pills in your hand luggage

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the pen advise. I was confused as it says 3ml but on the other side 100 units/ml so was a bit confused. What size wallet do you suggest?

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have frio wallets. I have 1 extra large wallet for my extras (holds 5 pens) and 2 duo wallets which each hold 2 pens. I also have the waterproof inner liners which stop the pen labels getting soggy. The duo wallets are great for out and about use, fit in my bag no problem. You just need to make sure they can breathe wherever you put them as they work by evaporation. Off on my first holiday with having T1 in October so I wish you all the best with your trip! Kat x

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have frio wallets. I have 1 extra large wallet for my extras (holds 5 pens) and 2 duo wallets which each hold 2 pens. I also have the waterproof inner liners which stop the pen labels getting soggy. The duo wallets are great for out and about use, fit in my bag no problem. You just need to make sure they can breathe wherever you put them as they work by evaporation. Off on my first holiday with having T1 in October so I wish you all the best with your trip! Kat x
Enjoy your trip too! Will you be taking the orange kit (glucogen?). Once I work out how many pens to take I'll work out the best wallet size/s. I'll have access to a fridge on arrival. Would you use the wallet 'activated' for a plane- customs and all that?