Travelling abroad

janeliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Shopping, smoking
I have just collected a letter from my GP to take through airport security with me. What do peoples letter state? Mine says I am insulin dependant diabetic and need to carry Lantus and needles. There is no mention of the Novarapid I also take. Does anything else need to be listed? Can't believe GP doesn't know what to write! Any advice would be grateful. Thank you.

D

Deleted Account

I have had type 1 for over 10 years and fly 5 or 6 times each year.
I would never travel without my doctor's letter. However, I have only been asked to show it once and that was when there was heightened security. It was used to prove I had diabetes. Therefore, I do not think the lack of reference to NovoRapid is relevant (most airport security staff have no idea what a Lantus or NovoRapid looks like or does).

When I got a pump, my letter changed and I threw out my tatty old MDI letter so I can't tell you exactly what is said although there was a sentence mentioning "risk of death" if my kit was taken away. There was no mention of the types of insulin or number of vials.

FYI my current letter states

"This letter is to confirm that the above person has Insulin Dependent Diabetes requiring insulin continuously through a subcutaneous pump device. It is therefore essential that she carries this at all times along with insulin, cannulas, cartridges, needles and other medical equipment as part of her treatment.
"The pump manufacturer stipulates that the insulin pump should not be exposed to x-ray equipment, advising instead a "walk through" or hand wand is requested."

Reactions: umabell

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Mine says I am insulin dependant diabetic and need to carry Lantus and needles. There is no mention of the Novarapid I also take.

They could have left it at insulin dependant diabetic, I can't recall having the individual insulin's listed on my old letter.

It should suffice or you could ask for another letter saying your insulin dependant and need to carry insulin, pens, needles/lancets and a bg kit, just make sure there's a contact address and number for your gp surgery in case there should be any queries.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Having the individual insulin's listed could be very useful if you needed to get replacement insulin for some reasons.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Having the individual insulin's listed could be very useful if you needed to get replacement insulin for some reasons.

It's recommended to take a copy of your repeat prescription when travelling abroad as it lists all your diabetes supplies (including any other meds that you may take).