Travelling Abroad

corbanwolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey
I am planning to travel abroad soon. I learned I need doctor's letter to get my insulin with me. I asked the nurse and she said it costs £15 and I have to wait on week for that. She also said that people usually have prescription instead of the letter but she wasn't sure. So I'm asking you. Will prescription do? How do you travel abroad?

Does it vary on the company I use? I am going by WizzAir if it matters

Reactions: Freema
K

Knikki

Its not so much the travelling on the plane that might be the issue it is going through Security and Customs and your carryng all your gear in a see through plastic bag, which is why you would need the letter or script as proof you are a Diabetic.

Think last letter I got frm the Docs cost more than that.

Going to tag @helensaramay because she may have more knowledge having travelled abroad alot.

_becs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey
I am planning to travel abroad soon. I learned I need doctor's letter to get my insulin with me. I asked the nurse and she said it costs £15 and I have to wait on week for that. She also said that people usually have prescription instead of the letter but she wasn't sure. So I'm asking you. Will prescription do? How do you travel abroad?

Does it vary on the company I use? I am going by WizzAir if it matters

Hi,

I always try and ask the diabetic nurses at the hospital clinic for a letter to take with me - it's free and has the NHS header and trust on the top and doesn't usually have a date on so can use it year after year. Otherwise it is £11-15 for one off the GP-make sure it has everything you want on it if you're paying for it because in the past mine has been minimal and not worth it- I asked for another with specifics on... I also take a copy of my prescription too and put it altogether in the same carry-on bag as my stuff. Never had any problems other than when I went to Cuba-they hadn't seen a pump before but explained it was medicine and it was fine. After that I try and memorise the term for diabetes in the countries language I'm visiting.

Reactions: Freema
D

Deleted Account

As @Knikki mentioned, it is security who are concerned - the airline don't need to know or see the insulin.

In well over 100 flights, I have only been asked for the letter once.
However, on that occasion, no letter would have been no flight.
I see my letter as insurance - I hope never to need it but I have it just in case.

Like @_becs mine comes from the diabetes clinic, was free and is undated.
However, if that is not an option, I would rather spend £15 and be guaranteed the flight rather than risk missing out.

Bear in mind
- security are more likely to be concerned with your sharps
- all liquids need to be in a clear plastic bag (although medication can be in a second bag if you have filled yours with cosmetics)
- take at least twice as much of everything than you think you will need. The NHS recommend thee times as much.
- remember to include spare insulin pen(s) and battery for your meter.
- do not put insulin in the hold as the cold temperature will kill it
- diabetes is more likely to "go wrong" than anything else so make sure your travel insurance covers diabetes

And enjoy your trip.

corbanwolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@helensaramay so what document do you show them during the security check? Or you just go thought the check without showing anything? I mean, during those 99 flights what happened? Did they ask you for prescriptions or they didn't ask about anything?

D

Deleted Account

@helensaramay so what document do you show them during the security check? Or you just go thought the check without showing anything? I mean, during those 99 flights what happened? Did they ask you for prescriptions or they didn't ask about anything?
I showed them nothing - they didn't know (or care) that I have diabetes.
It is no one's business that I have diabetes unless they are concerned about sharp items (I just say "I have diabetes" if they ask about needles) or liquids and I describe insulin as "medication".

Jkoko56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never been asked to show a letter or prescription although I carry one but I always tell security staff I'm diabetic before I put my bag through the scanner.

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Its not so much the travelling on the plane that might be the issue it is going through Security and Customs and your carryng all your gear in a see through plastic bag, which is why you would need the letter or script as proof you are a Diabetic.
I carry a letter from my GP with me that lists my medications and States that I'm diabetic. I have never been asked by anyone in immigration or security to see the letter. I tell the security people I have insulin pens in my bag, never a problem, even in China. My travels include South and North America, South Africa, Jordan, Vietnam etc, etc. Never had a problem. Take a copy of your prescription but I bet you won't be asked for it!

Think last letter I got frm the Docs cost more than that.

Going to tag @helensaramay because she may have more knowledge having travelled abroad alot.

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As @Knikki mentioned, it is security who are concerned - the airline don't need to know or see the insulin.

In well over 100 flights, I have only been asked for the letter once.
However, on that occasion, no letter would have been no flight.
I see my letter as insurance - I hope never to need it but I have it just in case.

Like @_becs mine comes from the diabetes clinic, was free and is undated.
However, if that is not an option, I would rather spend £15 and be guaranteed the flight rather than risk missing out.

Bear in mind
- security are more likely to be concerned with your sharps
- all liquids need to be in a clear plastic bag (although medication can be in a second bag if you have filled yours with cosmetics)
- take at least twice as much of everything than you think you will need. The NHS recommend thee times as much.
- remember to include spare insulin pen(s) and battery for your meter.
- do not put insulin in the hold as the cold temperature will kill it
- diabetes is more likely to "go wrong" than anything else so make sure your travel insurance covers diabetes

And enjoy your trip.
Interestingly I've never put my insulin pens in a plastic bag . I carry them in Frio pouches and I've not had to take them out.

Reactions: Knikki
D

Deleted Account

Interestingly I've never put my insulin pens in a plastic bag . I carry them in Frio pouches and I've not had to take them out.
I was pulled up, recently, because the vial of insulin I use to fill my pump was not in a plastic bag.
I have since included any pen cartridges in the plastic bag, too.
I do not know about pre-filled pens as I have always avoided them.
And the insulin within my pump is not removed for security.

Reactions: Knikki
K

Knikki

Interesting but the only reason I stick them in the plastic bag is because I don't use/have a Frio pouch :)

isajim

I've never been asked to show a letter or prescription although I carry one but I always tell security staff I'm diabetic before I put my bag through the scanner.
Totaly agree with what you are saying, for years both my wife and myself both type 2 and she was using injection pens at the time.What we did was get full copies of prescriptions and prior to going through customs and security was approach both and explain the situation both in the UK and Spain. Hope this helps.

corbanwolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey. I got another question. Should I have sealed unopened box of insulin pens or can I have already opened box or even pen with needle attached to it? Or everything should be brand new and never used? It gives me a question when we go back from our trip we used some of medicines in the visited country and when we go back the boxes are already opened, does it mean we can't bring them back once opened? Or custom service doesn't give a duck and no one really pays attention?

K

Knikki

All the times I have travelled with insulins I have had, pens, syringes, part used medicines, needle attached needles not attached and so far not had any problems with going in or out of the UK.

Or abroad thinking about it.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'd just like to add I always take two different types of meter in case one goes faulty (my preferred choice Accucheck mobile cassette is not the most reliable but doesn't leave used test strips to get rid of) . I've flown dozens of times and never had a problem, remember how many diabetics there are in the world, staff see this stuff all the time, I've had a few discussions with security about not going through metal detectors with a Libre sensor on my arm but after speaking to someone higher up they've let me go with just a frisking. The Libre is my go to choice for holidays now as your routine, diet, and even time zone changes complicate everything and testing on the plane is so **** easy leaving you to enjoy yourself more and not worry !

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
In case no one has said - have a great time! I too have insulin pens and needles etc. Cary all in my hand luggage and in frio bags too to stop the insulin going off as I carry at least twice as much as I need. I got years ago a handy card which identifies me and that I need insulin pens needles syringes etc. Also carry a copy of your scrips for all your medication. The card I have is in French Spanish and English, I think I got it from diabetes uk. Had to get the doctor to sign a letter and my photo too.

D

Deleted Account

Hey. I got another question. Should I have sealed unopened box of insulin pens or can I have already opened box or even pen with needle attached to it? Or everything should be brand new and never used? It gives me a question when we go back from our trip we used some of medicines in the visited country and when we go back the boxes are already opened, does it mean we can't bring them back once opened? Or custom service doesn't give a duck and no one really pays attention?
Your pens can be open. In fact, considering you may need to use the insulin in the airport (or en route), there is a very good chance it will be open.
I have never used prefilled pens (I am a stickler for avoiding single use plastic as much as possible) but opened boxed of cartridges are fine so see no reason why opened pens would be a problem.
...or more likely, as you say, security doesn’t give a duck.