Travelling abroad

Hazmattmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone. Its been a while since I asked anything but I`m pleased to report since being diagnosed with Type 2 in march i have been very good & have reduced my blood sugar to almost borderline diabetes levels. I am still taking Metformin 1000 mg x 2 per day & although I have been told I can stop monitoring my BS levels I am still doing so once a day...just to keep a check. I have also lost nearly 2 stones of weight, am sticking more or less to a low carb diet & taking more exercise including "playing" tennis again - after 30+ years of not playing tennis! So life is quite positive now after several weeks of deep gloom following the diagnosis. Now my question...we still have a small flat in France & have decided we are going to go there for a month in September. We know the situation in France & don`t intend to take any risks. What do I do about taking my BS monitor, lancets, testing strips & medication...is it enough to declare them at security? We normally only take carry on luggage as we have stuff over there in the flat & so can travel lightly. Can anyone advise me?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never declared any of my kit and never been pulled up about it.
Just leave it in hand luggage if that's all you're taking..

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I take a letter from the hospital that lists all the stuff I need and take a copy of my prescription but I've never needed them. Many moons ago I was asked a couple of times what I had in my bag after it had been x-rayed, I told them I have diabetes and that was sufficient. One time I had to open my bag but they just glanced in the top. They're used to seeing it all so it's unlikely you'll have any issues

Hazmattmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take a letter from the hospital that lists all the stuff I need and take a copy of my prescription but I've never needed them. Many moons ago I was asked a couple of times what I had in my bag after it had been x-rayed, I told them I have diabetes and that was sufficient. One time I had to open my bag but they just glanced in the top. They're used to seeing it all so it's unlikely you'll have any issues
Great...thanks. letter from the hospital made me smile...i`ve never even seen a doctor! Its all been dealt with by a nurse...drives me mad...And I`m an ex nurse myself! I will take my prescription though...good idea :)

Reactions: sleepster

Hazmattmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great...thanks. letter from the hospital made me smile...i`ve never even seen a doctor! Its all been dealt with by a nurse...drives me mad...And I`m an ex nurse myself! I will take my prescription though...good idea :)
And...the nurse does NOT approve of our going in the first place so unlikely to be co-operative re a letter methinks!

Reactions: sleepster

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
@Hazmattmum

This is from the LGW security pages:-

upload_2020-6-30_10-35-52-png.42426

Find the full text here:-
https://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/flying-out/security-advice/

I think you will find that most airports have similar words on their websites. Although I have never been asked for a letter, I don't want to be turned back at security by an overly officious customs person obeying every rule so I always carry one. You don't have needles of course so I don't know how lancets on their own would be viewed ?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. Did they not ask about the lancets?
No never questioned ... just leave it all in the hand luggage. I doubt the tiny amount of metal in a lancet would trigger anything anyway and I usually only take the one in the lancing device and maybe a spare or two. I change mine very infrequently

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As you know the address you are going to, you could always post yourself some spares

Hazmattmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Hazmattmum

This is from the LGW security pages:-

upload_2020-6-30_10-35-52-png.42426

Find the full text here:-
https://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/flying-out/security-advice/

I think you will find that most airports have similar words on their websites. Although I have never been asked for a letter, I don't want to be turned back at security by an overly officious customs person obeying every rule so I always carry one. You don't have needles of course so I don't know how lancets on their own would be viewed ?
As you know the address you are going to, you could always post yourself some spares

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah sorry, a benefit of being type 1 I guess. You could get a letter from your GPs but they'll charge you for it. I've never been asked for a letter but I like to have it for piece of mind. Would I pay for one though? Unlikely :D