Travelling with a Pump

indyjholtzmann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello!

So I'm potentially about to start being considered for an insulin pump on the NHS. It is extremely early stages at the moment as my DSN has literally just mentioned it to me and wants to put me forward for it and I'm having an appointment with her next week to start a discussion on it. Naturally, I have started looking up and researching about pumps to see how they work and such.

It seems like not only do you need the actual pump but there is a lot of equipment to keep the thing working and this, for the moment, is my biggest concern. I travel a lot. Sometimes I'm off for a few days but sometimes I'm off for quite a few weeks and I've got plans for trips lasting over a month. So my question is, how does travelling abroad change with an insulin pump? How is flying and airport security affected? And how much equipment do I need to take with me? I only ask as I saw someone post a photo on Twitter of what they were carrying for a 3 week holiday and it just seemed like a lot of stuff.

It's my biggest concern as I'm trying to work towards becoming a travel photographer! If it's too much hassle, I might not bother with a pump... Thanks for any advice!

Reactions: himtoo
D

Deleted Account

I frequently travel with a pump and it is not much hassle in terms of airport security.

However, there is more stuff to carry than when I was on MDI.
Whilst out and about, it is much less but when you need to consider set changes, the paraphernalia goes up ... and just like when injecting, you need to take twice as much with you than you think you need, just in case.
This does, of course, depend on how often you change your sets. I need to change mine every other day, because the cannula starts to get irritated but I know other people can last four days.

If you can put up with carrying the stuff, I find it much easier to travel, deal with time zone changes, etc. much much easier with a pump. So don't be put off by the stuff.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @indyjholtzmann

I agree with @helensaramay
there is more stuff to carry -- but the freedom a pump gives you in general more than makes up for the extra bits you need to carry.

I have not had any trouble travelling with a pump ( I have flown 16 flights this yesr )

Reactions: indyjholtzmann

indyjholtzmann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the info! As someone who likes to pack light (or as light as I can with all the insulin and needles I need) it's something I really need to consider. It's potentially putting me off getting one but I'll speak with my DSN next week and see what she says. It might make my planned round the world trip more awkward than it already is...

Reactions: himtoo

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
I have a waterproof one so I don't need to worry about water of any kind - rain or lakes or sea or shower etc. You need to carry cannulas and vials - enough for your stay and a few extra. generally in uk I keep 2 spares in my car as that goes with me and as a work out of a few different places I keep a cartridge in each of them incase of insulin emergency. I carry a simple syringe with me other than that as if I had a problem I could draw insulin out of the pump to inject. It means far less concern over hypos depending on the insulin your are on and far less worry about food as your bs will stay stable for 24 hours with no food if need be. Not recommended to go longer. If your blood sugar is low just change pump setting and it will come up so it gives much more freedom really as you don't need to carry food anymore. so more of one and less of the other. My nurse used to say to take a pen but if I holiday then I do incase pump failed however I don't carry with me at all times- I just keep a sterile syringe in my handbag. I photograph a lot and have a semi professional camera so one pocket has a spare everything. I would suggest you try it as I would never go back and I travel a lot. You could also get delivered to you in the foreign county if you are going for a month. I have an animas vibe and use pig insulin.