Travelling with insulin

Plynda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
May I ask how the community manages their insulin when travelling? I have a cold wallet to take me fridge-to-fridge, but that only works when there is a destination fridge available, and only for 2-3 weeks max. What do you do when you want to have an extended holiday? Is there some techo-gizmo that I don't know about which will keep spare insulin cold and can be recharged a-la mobile phone? Any other travel tips would be welcome...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a cold wallet to take me fridge-to-fridge, but that only works when there is a destination fridge available, and only for 2-3 weeks max.
Insulin keeps at room temperature for a month guaranteed, and a little longer in real life. So for travels for up to 5 or 6 weeks, I would simply use my Frio pouch, never an unknown fridge and definitely not a hotel fridge.
If it freezes your insulin it'll be worthless, whereas keeping at room temperature (in Frio pouch) slowly deteriorates insulin after month or longer. It'll still work but I'd remember I might need a tad more insulin towards the end of my trip.

Longer trips need more complex solutions.

• Agree
Reactions: In Response

Plynda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin keeps at room temperature for a month guaranteed, and a little longer in real life. So for travels for up to 5 or 6 weeks, I would simply use my Frio pouch, never an unknown fridge and definitely not a hotel fridge.
If it freezes your insulin it'll be worthless, whereas keeping at room temperature (in Frio pouch) slowly deteriorates insulin after month or longer. It'll still work but I'd remember I might need a tad more insulin towards the end of my trip.

Longer trips need more complex solutions.
Thanks, Antje77, but I was advised that my Humulin was only OK at rt for two weeks max, which means in practical terms I am limited to three weeks, no more, and no backup. Taking a live prescription is an utter waste since I will have to discard most of the ampules unused, and pharmacies don't like breaking into packs to dispense just one.
I could get a car fridge (about £250) but that still leaves me with the problem of not being able to cruise or go to remote destinations. Thanks anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Where are you going? Some parts of the world, especially the less developed, will allow you to buy insulin over the counter.

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, Antje77, but I was advised that my Humulin was only OK at rt for two weeks max, which means in practical terms I am limited to three weeks, no more, and no backup.
Which type of Humulin do you use?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, Antje77, but I was advised that my Humulin was only OK at rt for two weeks max,
Have you checked the leaflet that comes with your insulin for storage information?
I was able to find this for Humulin-N which states “Unopened vials should be thrown away after 31 days, if they are stored at room temperature.”.