Travelling with Insulin

pollyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
political correctness in any form
Hi everyone

I have purchased a Frio Travel Wallet. The instructions say it keeps insulin cool within safe temperatures of 18 - 26c degrees for 45 hours. My insulin is Humalog 25 mix pen and on the prescription label it says to keep the unused insulin at 2 - 8c degrees.
As there is a considerable difference in the temperatures I am wondering if this is safe and would ask others if they have these wallets and what is their opinion. I am worried in case the insulin is damaged by not being kept at the correct temperature.
Sometimes when I am travelling and don't have access to a fridge I open three unused pens simultaneously and rotate them during my stay. Again, is this what other people do.

Also how would I know if the insulin is damaged as it is cloudy anyway.

Thank you for reading my post

Pollyr

MacPhoenix

Insulin is fine at room temperature for about 4 weeks. Its advised that you don't use it straight out of the fridge anyway. Just don't expose it to high temperatures, its not as fragile as you may think.

It wont suddenly not work its efficiency will decrease, your BMs will indicate that if they're continually high.

Tom865346

Hey, I use frio wallets regularly for my novorapid and lantus pens. I travel frequently with work around Africa and Asia, where it can often be about 40 degrees and refrigeration can be sporadic. As long as you keep them wet and somewhere where they can evaporate ok the wallets work great and I've never had any problems. Now, working out the carb content of all the strange food you're eating... That's another story altogether! ;o)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

pollyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Guys

Thank you for your quick responses.

I feel much more confident now as I have had doubts for weeks now wondering if it will work for me. I will avoid opening three pens now and just take extra pens with me.

Tom - with you on the carb issue. I really must get to grip with that one but as never had to 'do' diets before am thinking I may not find it easy.

Thanks again
pollyr

MacPhoenix

@ Polly. Diet lol, I remember as a child my Gran asking how many Rice Crispies I was allowed. I siad 3551, so she started counting them out. Everything was measured by 'grams' then, I don't get all this hydrated carbo stuff o_O I pretty know how much I can eat of anything, guess its like cooking - when you learn you measure it all but Mum doesn't do that she just dumps it in the bowl, pinch of this and a spoon of that.

Love your name BTW, always brings a sense of kindness.

pollyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
MacPhoenix said:
@ Polly. Diet lol, I remember as a child my Gran asking how many Rice Crispies I was allowed. I siad 3551, so she started counting them out. Everything was measured by 'grams' then, I don't get all this hydrated carbo stuff o_O I pretty know how much I can eat of anything, guess its like cooking - when you learn you measure it all but Mum doesn't do that she just dumps it in the bowl, pinch of this and a spoon of that.

Love your name BTW, always brings a sense of kindness.

Thank you MacPhoenix - one day the carb thing might all click into place with me, I got all the books but luv the cake.

pollyr