Travelling with insulin

garrycrone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am type 2 controlled by tablets (Metformin 3 x 500mg per day) however over the past two years my bsl has climbed up and up and in my most recent discussion with my doctor the prospect of going onto Insulin has been raised. My problem is I am away from home two or three nights a week and I wondered if there was any issue about storing Insulin whilst away eg does it need to be kept in a fridge, can it be left in the car etc. Total lack of knowledge in this area so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya,
insulin needs to be kept in a fridge till needed for use, then once you have a pen out it will be ok at room temperature till you have finished using it, i think its around 4 weeks that it can be safely out of a fridge for so your few nights away would be fine :D

Portlandboy

Hi
I agree withTotsy on time scales etc, but would add don't leave insulin in a car. In extreme heat (if we ever get any again) and when very cold it can become ineffective. Also, I have noticed that in very cold weather the insulin in my pen stored in the glove box seems to contract causing the bung in the cartridge to move away from the plunger. This means that if you dial up any amount up to about 10 units you may not actually inject any insulin at all! (Has anyone else noticed this recently?)
Portlandboy

crushersmum

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It get very hot in a car during the summer & freeze overnight to you should keep the insulin in your bag that you remove when leaving the vehicle. If the weather is likely to be very warm such as in May or June & my son ( who uses insulin) is travelling any distance in a car, I use a frio pouch instead of the usual pouch for the insulin - It works fantastically. We have in the past travelled for 6 weeks in the tropics at 30+ degrees C without any of the insulin going off. you can get them online or find your nearest supplyer from http://www.friouk.com/. It just stops you worrying. As for cold - yes cars drop below freezing but not when you are in them!

Crushersmum

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
those frio pouches are excellent. I bought one when we went to egypt in july! worked a treat! even in temperatures during the day of over 40C it kept the insulin nice and cool!!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
garrycrone said:
I am type 2 controlled by tablets (Metformin 3 x 500mg per day) however over the past two years my bsl has climbed up and up and in my most recent discussion with my doctor the prospect of going onto Insulin has been raised. My problem is I am away from home two or three nights a week and I wondered if there was any issue about storing Insulin whilst away eg does it need to be kept in a fridge, can it be left in the car etc. Total lack of knowledge in this area so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Hi Garry,

Going on to insulin is one possibility, although I presume you are aware that you will need to advise DVLA and may have to temporarily surrender your driving licence. An alternative would be to get your blood sugar under control. This is not difficult. All it needs is a basic understanding of which foods cause your blood sugar to go up, which ones don't, and adjusting your diet accordingly. That is what many of us on this forum have done and now enjoy non-diabetic BS levels. Let us know if that is an option you would rather take and we can advise you.