Treat or not to treat a post training hyper?

Bexter1111

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone!
I bet this has been posted many times, but I need some advice!
I'm a type 1 diabetic with a pump that loves doing cardio and resistance training.

When I do cardio I half my pump for 4 hours and have a lucozade sport throughout depending on what cardio I'm doing. Works perfectly!

When I do resistance training, I just have water and don't amend my insulin. But can go into training between 5-9 and cone out between 10-17. I know this happens, but should you treat it? Or is it like a fake hyper that will go down itself?

Any advice at all will be helpful!!! Thanks guys!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Bexter1111. Firstly can I say that I'm not a pump user, good old fashioned mdi.
As for resistance training. It's a real dilemma. Every time I push myself on the weights I can guarantee my sugars will go crazy high. The big temptation is to perform a correction dose after exercise, which I have done myself in the past. Problems then arise upto 6/8 hrs later when blood sugar drops drastically, usually whilst in bed.
Prior to starting using a Dexcom CGM I would always wait until my next meal, dose for the meal and take a correction dose at this point in time. It was always a bit hit and miss I have to admit.
Since using the Dexcom I can gather far more information such as when my sugars start to rise whilst training,how long I continue to climb after exercise, when I plateau and when I start to drop and at what speed.
With all this information I now inject insulin prior to a heavy session, a bit scary at first, but caution and monitoring led to some interesting results. Obviously what works for me on mdi won't necessarily work the same way for you on a pump but I would say give it a go. Insulin prior to training. Be cautious and check regularly to see how it goes. Keep plenty of hypo treatment close to hand.
For me. If prior to my workout I was 7 then I would have 3 units novorapid about 15 mins before I started workout. An hour later I'll be somewhere between 7 and 10 at the end of my session. The following 2 hrs post gym stays fairly stable as IOB counteracts the adrenaline in my system.
Not sure how relevant any of this is for you and your pump. Nonetheless I hope you find something that works for you.
Good luck:)

Reactions: Rogue_one
D

Deleted Account

Why don’t you increase your basal when doing resistance training?
I find climbing has a similar affect unless I increase my basal by 40%.
I then need to reduce it by 20% for the next 12 hours to avoid a hypo.

But to answer your question, I would treat the hyper and then reduce my basal.

Reactions: therower

gsf1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Bexter1111. Firstly can I say that I'm not a pump user, good old fashioned mdi.
As for resistance training. It's a real dilemma. Every time I push myself on the weights I can guarantee my sugars will go crazy high. The big temptation is to perform a correction dose after exercise, which I have done myself in the past. Problems then arise upto 6/8 hrs later when blood sugar drops drastically, usually whilst in bed.
Prior to starting using a Dexcom CGM I would always wait until my next meal, dose for the meal and take a correction dose at this point in time. It was always a bit hit and miss I have to admit.
Since using the Dexcom I can gather far more information such as when my sugars start to rise whilst training,how long I continue to climb after exercise, when I plateau and when I start to drop and at what speed.
With all this information I now inject insulin prior to a heavy session, a bit scary at first, but caution and monitoring led to some interesting results. Obviously what works for me on mdi won't necessarily work the same way for you on a pump but I would say give it a go. Insulin prior to training. Be cautious and check regularly to see how it goes. Keep plenty of hypo treatment close to hand.
For me. If prior to my workout I was 7 then I would have 3 units novorapid about 15 mins before I started workout. An hour later I'll be somewhere between 7 and 10 at the end of my session. The following 2 hrs post gym stays fairly stable as IOB counteracts the adrenaline in my system.
Not sure how relevant any of this is for you and your pump. Nonetheless I hope you find something that works for you.
Good luck:)
I'm on Novorapid MDI, about to start a gym routine from tomorrow. This was really helpful to read, thank you!

Reactions: CranberryIce

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on Novorapid MDI, about to start a gym routine from tomorrow. This was really helpful to read, thank you!
Sounds a positive thing to do:).
I only do the insulin prior to a workout that will push me beyond a certain point. I've been training to some degree or another since I was 12 yrs old, I'm now 54, hence I've got a few years experience at this stuff.
Only make decisions to try things different once you've gathered enough information to justify any changes you make.
Sorry, not trying to put a downer on it but just be cautious.;)

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Same issue as you and also find it counter-intuitive to add insulin before training just in case the training does not happen or I decide to do HiiT instead! I think the bg needs preventing or treating as once the glucose is elevated it isn't going to be dealt with by your basal insulin so either do that temp rate and be conservative with the percentage increase or test and correct mid session.
Also I sometimes find that the spike doesn't happen so steeply if I ate breakfast and my bg was 7 or under to begin with.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@NicoleC1971 . I agree it is a very fine balancing act with so many variables to consider.
And , yes, injecting prior to a workout does put the onus on us doing the workout. Nothing more annoying than having to eat instead of train:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Reactions: gsf1996