Treating diabetes with cannabis

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
lol I was waiting for the munchies one pmsl so can it change your blood sugar levels? lol or wouldnt you care? lol

Seth f

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos. Diabetic nurses. People that get scared and ask constantly "are you ok, do you need sugar, check your levels" but don't listen when I explain I'm fine.
I was a stoner for years, everyday habit, but around the time my symptoms of type 1 showed up I couldn't smoke it as hard as I used to, and now I've had to pretty much quit it due to the banging head aches it gives me as well as feeling really I'll, I say pretty much quit as I will every now and then have a puff on a mates doobie but if I get really stoned I feel I'll again. So unless your using it to treat symptoms of other problems then I wouldn't bother. I have a close friend who's type 1 who was also a stoner and he's had to quit too for the same reasons. I do miss getting stoned but it's just not the same now. But as I've said to my consultant the fact diabetes has stopped me using recreational drugs is a good thing, I get more done and ironically will probably live longer as I have to look after myself. And we have both said it does make blood sugar regulation harder but I've not really wanted to research it on myself as I don't want to feel ill.

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Apologies for length in advance, I kinda went off on one with this post!

Without getting into the whole (IMHO, based on an outdated and Draconian law) legality of cannabis, I started using it about a year ago.
I had what i can only describe as irritatingly painful and physically draining neuropathy :(

The neuropathy mainly affected my hands, feet, upper arms, upper legs and abdomen. This made it painfully to have anything on my feet or anywhere where my clothes weren’t loose and non constrictive. Also trying to sleep at night was a bl**dy nightmare! and when i did eventually get to sleep then i would be waking at least once an hour.
Knock on effect, i couldn't concentrate on my work as much as i would have liked. Also resulted in numerous days off due to fatigue and the inability to concentrate properly. (work as an instrument repair and calibration technician so kinda need to be on my game.)

This went on for a while, tried the usual neuropathy drugs, Amitriptyline, gabbapentin (sp?), Also tried sleeping pills (due to restlessness and difficulty getting/staying asleep), prescription and OTC variety. Some of these slightly helped but hated the groggy/drowsy feeling the next day (esp the amitriptyline).

Was reading various sites around the net and came across some mentioning that there is growing evidence of the medical use of cannabis. Having not really used cannabis in the past 10 years since my late teens. Decided ,
“What the hell its worth a shot, cant really make me feel worse.”

That was about a year ago, and a can personally say this time last year i felt like, for lack of a better description, s**t! I was basically feeling miserable and was willing to try (almost) anything.
Now im feeling on top of my game and wake up refreshed, with none of the “pharmaceutical” grogginess.

I normally just have a smoke once a day before bed. Yes i know smoking is bad for you esp being diabetic, but there are many ways for it to enter your system, not just smoking.

I'm not out to say everyone should do it, just that it worked and is working for me. Bloods are fine, eyes and feet are fine and i now only take insulin, and have ditched the drugs related to complications.

Cheers for reading (if you made it through to the end :D )

I have exactly the same symptoms you had and totally agree with you ags!!
I used it for a while then stopped as I was talking rubbish. Prob had too much lol. Now I'm addicted to tobacco lol. Maddy