Tresiba and eczema? Or as a complication of diabetes?

snidge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
exercise, winter driving, waiting (for anything)
Hi all, I have had nasty eczema on my hands for two years, it lets up a bit now and again but doesn't go away. I have tried creams, hydrocortisone, wearing cream and gloves all night to no avail. My fingers crack at the tips. I changed my dish detergent, use rubber gloves in water etc. The only thing that I changed 2 years ago was a switch to Tresiba (insulin degludec), and I am wondering if anyone else has this symptom. Fingertips are so painful! Thanks for your input.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @snidge and welcome to the forums.

I have no idea whether your rash is caused by the tresiba, though I do know that some people (luckily very few) have allergic reactions to insulin. My understanding is that it is often (usually?) caused by the preservative in the insulin, rather than the insulin itself.

Have you talked to your doctor about this theory? There are other insulins that could be used instead of tresiba if they think it is a possibility....

snidge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
exercise, winter driving, waiting (for anything)
Hi @snidge and welcome to the forums.

I have no idea whether your rash is caused by the tresiba, though I do know that some people (luckily very few) have allergic reactions to insulin. My understanding is that it is often (usually?) caused by the preservative in the insulin, rather than the insulin itself.

Have you talked to your doctor about this theory? There are other insulins that could be used instead of tresiba if they think it is a possibility....
Thanks, I have been on Lantus before the Tresiba with no difficulty. I am going to try that again. I see my diabetes doctor in March.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thanks, I have been on Lantus before the Tresiba with no difficulty. I am going to try that again. I see my diabetes doctor in March.
Good luck