Tresiba users....

Jason 73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi posters
My DSN is keen for me to move from Levemir to Tresiba for my basal injections. However, I currently take my Levemir 12hrs apart, 16u at 7am and 26u at 7pm. With such a disparity between dose sizes I’m kind of unclear how Tresiba once every 24hrs would work to keep my background levels level. DSN seems to be pushing the “its less injections for you”.
Anyone had similar situation?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Jason 73,
I was prescribed Levemir in the past but nit Tresiba.
I used to take Levemir at breakfast time and at about 10 pm.
The idea of being able to vary the split doses was to not only cover BSLs between meals but also for the night dose to be able to be high enough to try to control any Dawn Phenomenon (DP) - if you go to Home page, and type that phrase into the question box, right upper part of the page be able to read about it. Not everyone suffers from DP fortunately. Also you do not want to go hypo overnight when there is no food being eaten to counter-balance too much Levemir.
I found Levemir useful until after 45 years on insulin i was tending to get too many hypos and the DP was proving troublesome.
I liken Tresiba to a battleship, steady and useful as a stabukusing influence, but takes time to change course ( . 3 days as @Kniiki was saying - if that suits your lifestyle, then it us a wunner!
Levemir is more like a smaller ship, turns a bit quicker, will nit necaarily be as sready on course, but will maybe suit a less predicable lifestyle and temperment.
I am now on an insulin pump which gives me a cruiser- runabout basal ( where basal is more ir less equivalent to long-acting insulin. The before meal ( bolus) insulin part if it is oretty much like with what you do although i can tweak the bolus dosse to deliver part now, part later withiut setting a reminder! Of course a runabout can get into trouble easier than a battleship!
My take on number if injections is about what is manageabke, gives the best BSLs for the fewest hypos and best suits one's current lifestyle.
From a safety viewpoint and of relatively recent report: Tresiba and Levemir appear to be safer than Lantus .
See diabettech,com - Lantus: Lethal or Saviour?
Best Wishes :):):)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!
Yes from what @Knikki said Tresiba is a more flat line profile compared to Levemir. I find levemir tapers off around 17-18hour mark and result in high blood sugars after, compared to tresiba. I too was switched from split dose levemir to tresiba due to nocturnal hypoglycemias. Although tresiba is one injection, I feel like it has taken that flexiblity away from me, with split dose levemir I could tweak either doses to fix morning highs or overnight, unfortunately I couldn't do anything to fix nighttime lows, even at the lowest dose.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi I went from Levemir to Tresiba last year, about 10 months ago, I only took 10 units of Levemir, I started on 8 units of Tresiba, then moved up to 9 , then 10 and still on 10 and I have never split them.

Reactions: kitedoc