Tresiba

matthewwallis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone else on this and find it works almost too well? I started this before Christmas after switching from Lantus and started on 24u in the mornings. I’m now down to 18u and will going down to 16 from tomorrow. Almost daily I’m finding alomost no need to bolus for meals. Today for example I had vegetable soup which has 30g in a tin, my ratio is 1 for every 10u and my blood sugar was 12 before I ate.

I’m overly paranoid about hypos and only gave myself 1u had another 4 biscuits cos I couldn’t help not snacking at work got home and around 4/5 hours later my blood sugar was 10? I had about 50g of carbs but my blood sugar was slightly lower with only 1u of novo rapid.

Tonight I had potatoes and veg and ate about 50g, my blood sugar was 18 after o ate because I waited a while to do my insulin and tested after (bad I know) but gave myself 3u of novorpaid when in reality it should’ve been 7/8u. An hour later it was gone from 18 to 8 with only 3u???

Don’t get me wrong the need for less novo rapid is great but is also frustrating because I want to get on top things but how can I when it reacts like this?

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @matthewwallis

Tresiba is a really great, much more stable insulin. I've found it a huge improvement, and I know a lot of other people have said the same.

The best place to start is to do some basal testing (link below in case you aren't familiar with it)

https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

This will give you an idea of whether or not your basal dose is actually correct. Then you can start looking at your ratios.

Something to bear in mind, if you are fiddling with tresiba doses - it takes at least 3 days to see the difference, so changing day by day won't give you useful information.

Good luck! Hope you can get tresiba working for you - it can be frustrating to start off with, but once you get it right it can make such a difference.

Reactions: Levy