Type 1 trial shift between 5-11pm cafe

hollyslot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi all,

this friday i have a trial shift at a cafe from 5-11pm, waitressing.

i don't know if i should ask them before when the break is to know when i can eat and tell them i have type 1 diabetes. im scared this will put them off me.

does anyone have advice about what i should do?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi, I would tell them about the diabetes and explain that you may need to snack on your fast acting carbs of choice if you feel unwell.
I probably would not ask what time the break is as in a cafe things can be unpredictable about numbers of customers.
Good luck with the trial!

hollyslot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I would tell them about the diabetes and explain that you may need to snack on your fast acting carbs of choice if you feel unwell.
I probably would not ask what time the break is as in a cafe things can be unpredictable about numbers of customers.
Good luck with the trial!
thank you, i did just email them to ask and said my diabetes shouldn't affect me, but hopefully this was ok!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Yep. As a diabetic you are protected under discrimination law so good to tell them and for your health!
Hope all goes well tomorrow.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @hollyslot . Good luck with the shift. Definitely mention your T1.
If I was in your shoes I would test my sugars at 4.40 and aim to start the shift with bs at 8+. Stress, excitement and the unknown can drop bs levels really quick for me. Keep a stash of jelly babies in a pocket and if you feel low or funny pop a few in just to be safe, running your sugars slightly high for a few hours won't do any harm ( my opinion ).
Once you've done the trial shift you'll have a much better idea of how the hours pan out and what is required of you.
Happy waitressing and don't forget to smile :)

Reactions: hollyslot

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, definitely mention u have diabetes. I started working in a busy shop full time just recently, about a week ago. I have T1 for about half a year now but i can manage it well enough now so it doesnt give me much headaches during work. I have bfast at home so i only need to bother myself with insulin max 2 times in work. I keep my BG meter close so i can check anytime i dont feel well, usually around 10am it drops so i already know i need some more snacks there. As the day goes on i get more relaxed , more use to the fast pace and im fine with my BG, i can usually find the time between 12-2pm when i can have lunch, insulin and all. Dont be scared, just be sure u always have smt like a candy in ur pocket to raise ur BG fast if it drops, when the cafe is full and u just dont have time to go anywhere it ll be a lifesaver. Make sure u let ur boss know that u need X time to take insulin and then to eat. U ll see when u can run off to do it all when theres not much customers or someone can cover u, but definitely let them know. The rest of ur worktime u can give ur 120% ! (; Good luck for u !

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wish you really good luck with the shift. I'm sure you've done the right thing informing them. I work shifts and have found that once I established a pattern it's all worked out fine. If you can get a trial or afford it them I found the freestyle libre really good at spotting the trends in my bg during shifts.