Troubles with 13 yr diabetic

Tasha11234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnose when I was 8. I really had no clue what it was but my parents told me that I have this disease and I need to take charge of it because it's not going away. I had a few highs and lows and sometimes I would lie but as I got older I realised that I'm only cheating myself. It won't change the doctor that my bg was a bit lower, it changes me.

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed at 13. I wasn't really too worried about peer pressure or anything as I just used to eat what I wanted just like everyone else, and inject the appropriate level of fast acting insulin. Unfortunately I was usually a bit inaccurate with my guesses this then used to upset me. I dreaded doing blood tests as they always were too high when I thought I'd been doing great. Cue many tearful moments. Why can't i do it? Why does it come back different every time even if I eat exactly the same thing every day for 2 weeks? It's not fair!!!

I used to dread seeing the diabetes team as I always felt like they were telling me off. That I was obviously not doing as I was told, not injecting, bingeing on sweets or whatever else they imagined I was doing to come up with such awful results. I was so frustrated that I could not control this stupid "thing" which should be so mathematical and logical. It is only since recently joining this forum that I understand that there is so much more to it that just 30g carb should equal 3 units novo rapid.

25 years on I finally feel I might be getting there, although still have my moments. My only advice is to step back a bit and reassure her that she too will get there, that It's not necessarily her fault when it goes pear shaped. Our bodies are all different and what is easy and works brilliantly for one person may not be right for everyone.

I totally agree that she should join this forum and chat to others. She will realise she is not the worst diabetic that ever lived (as I have believed at points in my life (usually straight after a hospital appointment)). Hope it all gets better for both of you

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Adamspillman

Its interesting hearing about people who became diabetic so young seems real hard for them,Im 28 and only just being diagnosed type 1,I'm finding it difficult to trust food I used to enjoy like ice cream,and when I do eat something high carb I always check my blood on and off and end up with sore fingers oh and I'd like to know why sometimes when I inject nova or lant it burns under my skin,I inject into my stomach BTW any help would be welcome

cure_diabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I don't like brussel sprouts or people who make me feel weird for having Diabetes. For example when they say: "Eww, how do you do that its horrible"
I am 13 myself and know that it is very hard to be in control with my diabetes yet it is harder still to tell my my if I do not get an in range reading as it is probably my fault for being lazy and not taking my injection on time. I then think I shouldn't tell my mum because I will feel guilty when she tries to figure out which dose we need to change all because I'm lazy! Does this help? I hope so and good luck :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi all i haven't chatted on here for a while as up until yesterday I was under the impression that my daughter Megan's diabetes was well controlled . Meg had her routine hospital appointment yesterday , before had she had usual obs carried out including Hbc level. As we enter her doctors office i see a look of dismay on her doctors face and the other two nurses present. We were then told that her level has shot up again. I puzzled asked how this could be possible as Megan's blood readings have been fantastic lately . So they ask for Megan's recording book have a look through ( most of these results they know as I email them through once a fortnight ) then they ask for Megan's monitor . The nurse looks through and tells me the monitor readings aren't the same as what meg has wrote in book . I'm still puzzled and looking at my daughter thinking any minute they will tell me this is a terrible mistake . However they don't tell me there is a mistake Megan has infact been falsifying her readings for the last two months. On closer inspection of her meter once we got home i could see that Megan at times doesn't check her bloods at all other days its once or twice a day all readings are high between 22 and off the scale . Although meg has had a touchy start to her diabetes i honestly thought she has cracked it. Day after day she tells me her readings and I presumingly see her checking her bloods and taking her insulin before meals as I am in the same room as her whilst she is doing so. She must of however mastered the art of miming doing this.

Now is this normal for her age group ? I am racked with worry and guilt that ive allowed this to happen and concern I'm a single parent so have no input from her dad and just lost as to what is going so wrong . I know I now need to take readings from her monitor rather then book know I need to be keeping a closer eye but don't know why it happened in first place. Megs reply was i don't know . Any help would be great .

13year-olds are usually going through puberty and may have unsettled readings, they are also often getting into the teenaged rebel stage of life and want to conform with their friends. The day will come when she's VERY difficult about it all. From my large experience of kids, I'd say talk to her about growing up and taking responsibility for her own health. I can't guarantee it will help, but it might.
Hana