Trulicity and diet to avoid side effects

gurninman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on 2g of Metformin for around 4 years, and was taking gliclazide until recently. This didn't seem to work, so was prescribed alogliptin to replace the gliclazide. Side effects were bad - I felt ill constantly, and had to stop taking them. I have now been prescribed Trulicity, and had the first dose 6 days ago. The first 3 or 4 days were fine - felt slightly queasy at times, but nothing bad. Then Saturday night, I was up every hour with extreme diarrhoea although I felt fine. Sunday night I was up at 2am, and never got any more sleep. More extreme diaorrhoea, but this time very painful cramps. I haven't eaten now for 36 hours, just about feeling well enough to try something later. Are there any tricks to eating to avoid the horrendous diaorrhoea ? I have to admit, my daughter was visiting on Saturday, so we had a takeout pizza - would this have affected me so badly ? would I be best just having very small , low carb meals ? I'm nervous about taking the second dose due tomorrow, as I've been basically out of action for two days

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on 2g of Metformin for around 4 years, and was taking gliclazide until recently. This didn't seem to work, so was prescribed alogliptin to replace the gliclazide. Side effects were bad - I felt ill constantly, and had to stop taking them. I have now been prescribed Trulicity, and had the first dose 6 days ago. The first 3 or 4 days were fine - felt slightly queasy at times, but nothing bad. Then Saturday night, I was up every hour with extreme diarrhoea although I felt fine. Sunday night I was up at 2am, and never got any more sleep. More extreme diaorrhoea, but this time very painful cramps. I haven't eaten now for 36 hours, just about feeling well enough to try something later. Are there any tricks to eating to avoid the horrendous diaorrhoea ? I have to admit, my daughter was visiting on Saturday, so we had a takeout pizza - would this have affected me so badly ? would I be best just having very small , low carb meals ? I'm nervous about taking the second dose due tomorrow, as I've been basically out of action for two days
Not a Type2 myself, so other with more knowledge could probably tell more personal stories/observations around this.

But from a pure pharmaceutical perspective then the following is a fact about Trulicity:
Common side effects of Trulicity include:
  • nausea,
  • diarrhea,
  • frequent bowel movements,
  • vomiting,
  • abdominal pain or discomfort,
  • decreased appetite,
  • indigestion,
  • fatigue,
  • constipation,
  • gas,
  • bloating,
  • weakness/lack of energy.
Far from all patients experience any or all of the above, so that is a personal thing if this drug will work for you or not. Alternatives certainly exist. But worth noticing is that the recommended initiating dose of Trulicity is 0.75 mg once weekly only! And with the maximum recommended dose is 1.5 mg once weekly ! Going above this recommendation will typically result in that one or more of the noted side effects will be triggered. You didn't share with us your current dose of Trulicity but now at least I shared this pharmaceutical guidance with you.

Now diarrhée can really be triggered by so many other things also, so worth giving your new diabetes medication a chance and then otherwise follow general guidelines to get over your diarrhée episode.

Reactions: sue.jackson@notts
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Iv been on trulicity for 4 weeks only 1st day felt slightly nauseous , I’m putting my lack of symptoms down to omeprazole protecting my gut. Maybe suggest to your doctor. Working really well otherwise dropped 15 pound in 3 weeks.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You'd be better off having low carb meals without a doubt.. not so sure about small..I eat well but only once or twice a day and as few carbs as possible usually. No meds no side effects apart from good tasting food.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you thought of trying proper low carb with higher fat to control your blood sugars? If you did this you may find you can manage without the Trulicity in time. There is no need to eat very small meals. You can eat a lot, but preferably no more than 3 meals a day with no snacks. (You would need to explain to your daughter that Pizzas are not a good idea - it may not have given you tummy problems, but will certainly have raised your blood sugar levels)

Do you have your own blood glucose meter? If so, you can use this to help you with your food choices, and we can help you use it to your best advantage.

Mijas_pueblo_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sue
Only been on Trulicity a week. First few days nausea/diareah/weak.
Was on Motilim to help. Diareah got worse. Looked at ingredients. Lactose.
Hell taking it 3 times a day. No wonder I had such diareah !!!
Changed to omprozol, overnight symptoms stopped. Yay .
Next injection tomorrow. Watch this space with interest ☺.

I saw that someone is taking Trulicity at 2.30pm. Less side effects. May try this. Been taking it at 9am.

diannesharpe

Type of diabetes
Type 2

diannesharpe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I felt strang first time taking it then I started on higher does felt bad but fine now . What puzzles me is not sure if it’s going in as can’t feel it but syringe is empty will find out soon as having blood tests . Good luck with yours x