Trulicity- supply problems/alternatives?

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I’ve been diagnosed with T2 for 26 years. Been on metformin over 20 years and Trulicity for 5 years.

Annual review last month and HbA1C had gone from 56 the previous year to 71. No significant change to weight, diet or exercise, but I had been started on a statin the year before. My cholesterol wasn’t that high (5.3) and HDL and ratios were good, but my QRisk had nudged from just under to over 10%, so I agreed to the statin. I have no actual cardiac history, it was purely preventative.

Back to this year and the HbA1C of 71. I asked for 3 months to try to get under control, but the nurse pushed for me to start a 3rd medication - empagliflozin. She said her experience was that Trulicity stopped working for many people after 3-4 years. I delayed starting the new med till I could get hold of a freestyle Libre sensor and have a few days to see what was going on and how the new med affected my BG. And during those few days, I remembered something about statins increasing BG - looked into it, and discovered that Atorvastatin, which I’m on, is worse than other statins for this, and in the US is contraindicated for people with diabetes and prediabetes.

So I have stopped taking the statin, gone low carb, and resumed regular exercise. And in the last two and a half weeks my BG has come down from 9 fasting and peaking up to 15 after meals, to 6 fasting, peaking seldom above 10 (on a lower carb meal).

I went to get my prescription today, having ordered just metformin and Trulicity, to be told that Trulicity was out of stock and to ask the GP for an alternative. Is there actually an alternative?? Of the same type of drug, I mean. Or will they tell me that the empagliflozin is the alternative? Is anyone aware of there is a national shortage, or if this might be a blip. [EDIT: just discovered there is a national shortage of all injectable GLP1 agonists, expected to last most of the year. And that stock should be reserved for people already on it…. like me….]

When I started on Trulicity, my A1C was 86, and went down to 54 - and has been there or thereabouts ever since, till just now. The nurse then (different practice) did offer alternatives, one of which was a flozin - but I did not fancy the idea of constantly having to pee. Also wondering whether, now that I’m low carb, is Trulicity less relevant to me - given its main mechanism is to make the body release more insulin in response to high blood sugar, but with much less carbs going in, my blood sugar just shouldn’t go as high anyway.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is anyone aware of there is a national shortage, or if this might be a blip.
Trulicity inj is a GLP -1 medication. I was on Victoza inj a drug from the same group, until recently when I too couldn’t get my prescription filled. There is a world shortage of these medications globally due to them being prescribed off label for weight loss in non diabetics. I have now swapped to Rybelsus an oral drug in the same group again. Apparently more of this has been made available for patients unable to get the injectable versions.
Here’s more info:

And here is the NPSA alert it refers to:

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I just thought I’d add an update for anyone who comes after.

I spoke with the practice nurse the other day and we agreed that I would continue with just metformin (and low carb and exercise) for now and we will recheck HbA1C in 3 months. She said to keep an eye on my BG and if it goes up too much, I have the empagliflozin available.

It‘s now 9 days since my last dose of Trulicity, and the last couple of days my BG is definitely starting to trend up. The 7 day average is now 7.9 - had got down to 7.5. But it’s still lower than it was when I started monitoring.

I’ve learned that the half life of Trulicity is 5 days, so that means I’ve probably got about 30% as much on board as I had on the day I took the last dose. So about 2/3 of the deterioration in BG has happened, maybe? Obviously I’ll have to keep watching it and hopefully it won’t go too much higher - before the weight loss and exercise start it coming down again.

So that’s me, for now - kicked off Trulicity unwillingly, but it has given me extra motivation to get better control through diet and exercise.