TRYING AGAIN

MING

After almost killing my poor husband with the low carb Bernstein diet, we are going to try it again. He has been put on stuff called Movicol to stop constipation which might make things easier this time. But still has to go back for bowel checks every so often. Sooo I'm making out a list for over xmas/new year & really hoping it works better for him. He had his 3 monthly check last week and the BS average was 6.4, plus he has lost almost 2 stone & cut his Simvastatin from 40mg to 10mg.
Cross fingies for us please :mrgreen:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Ming
In what way did the Bernstein diet injure your husband? I'm curious, because I've never heard of that happening before.
Hana

MING

He was very ill, lost almost 2 stone in ten days, ended up in hospital as the doc suspected bowel cancer. In the end they decided his system had into cold turkey and just shut down with the change of diet, and they gave him a telling off for believing all he read on the internet !! I felt terrible because he doesn't come online it was all my doing. He has to go back in 6 months then a year to get checked again and is on more medication to keep his system from seizing again.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Don't worry aabout them saying not to believe all you read on the internet. Bernstein is a perfecly respected doctor with a diabetic practice in upstate New York.
Hana

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ming

I wouldn't put your husband through that again, it sounds awful. I would suggest that you seek some professional advice regarding his diet, or at least get some clarification from his doctor that a low-carb diet is now safe, and not harmful to his health given his previous experience.

Good luck

Nigel

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't worry aabout them saying not to believe all you read on the internet. Bernstein is a perfecly respected doctor with a diabetic practice in upstate New York.
Which would be a valid response if Dr Bernstein was giving an individual consulation and had had full knowledge of Ming's husbands medical history but he's not the one giving the advice.

Ming during the last 3 months your husband seems to have been getting better results, so why not continue what he been doing during this period?
(please reread your earlier posts)

MING

I dont need to re read yes I know pet... but the husband is the one pushing for this. I might take it very slow and very gradual, and see what happens then ? He never did settle down to diabetes, he's still resentful and angry. Half of me wants very much to help him and half of me wants to strangle him. Which I suppose is marriage in a nutshell ! :twisted:

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
MING said:
In the end they decided his system had into cold turkey and just shut down with the change of diet.

Hi Ming it sounds like you reduced the carbs to quickly, your huband was obviously running high BG levels, you would be better gradually reducing the carbs over a longer period so that his levels will come down at a slower rate. I should think his doc will be keeping an eye on his progress you will need to keep him informed of any changes to diet.

Many Low Carbers don't follow Dr Bernstein's diet to the letter but adapt it to better suit their needs. I just reduced the carbs by using my meter as a guide until I found an acceptable level, I found that an increase of green veg to replace the starch and plenty of nuts and seeds have kept me regular.

Regards
Graham

wallycorker

Hi Ming,

I'm like Graham inasmuch that I manage my carbohydrate intake carefully but still eat quite a lot of it - in my case almost all as fruit and vegetables.

However, I did reduce my intake of starchy carbohydrates dramatically i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes mainly - but also rice and pasta also. In the case of rice and pasta these days I eat the less refined low-GI versions - e.g. wholegrain brown rice, spelt pasta, pulse pasta etc.

Cutting out almost all the cereals, bread and potatoes led to a big improvement in my blood glucose control - the improvement is continuing with no signs of stopping so far anyway.

I admire the approach outlined by Dr Bernstein but - as a Type 2 - I do not follow it to the letter because I've found that I don't need to do that and I still achieve excellent control of my blood glucose levels at all times of the day.

Best wishes - John

MING

He did well on it re BS, it was always 5, think maybe that's why he wants to try again. But yes I agree we were too drastic. He's a virgo and tries too hard at everything :twisted: much better to cheat like me !