Trying so willfully to come off T2DM

waleed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry my reply was interrupted.
I decided two days ago to finish the race with dignity. I still have 5 kg to waste. So I decided to water fast one more time probably for another 20 days. This should either make me achieve my aspiration or prove that I am on the wrong track.
Will keep you posted.
Wish me luck.

Just want to report an unexpected thing. I feel less tired and debilitated on full water fasting than on 700 cal ketogenic diet.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Just want to report an unexpected thing. I feel less tired and debilitated on full water fasting than on 700 cal ketogenic diet.
Hi Waleed. Not sure if you mentioned it before, but I was wondering just how low your blood glucose levels got on your previous extended fast. Also wondering how low they are on your present fast?

waleed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Waleed. Not sure if you mentioned it before, but I was wondering just how low your blood glucose levels got on your previous extended fast. Also wondering how low they are on your present fast?

120 in my previous fast. So far 160 and going down going into 4th day.

Reactions: 2 people

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
120 in my previous fast. So far 160 and going down going into 4th day.

Thanks for the info Waleed. So those figures correspond to about 6.7 and 8.9 in mmol/L. That's still surprisingly high considering the amazing extent of your fasting.

waleed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the info Waleed. So those figures correspond to about 6.7 and 8.9 in mmol/L. That's still surprisingly high considering the amazing extent of your fasting.

Those numbers are amazingly low considering starting from 500. And considering being on no medication.
furtherly. The challenge lies in bringing the pancreas to wake up, so that it may supply not only spontaneous adequate quantity of insulin, but also the accompanying other hormones of amylin and c peptide. This target will only be possible upon tapping in the final residues of visceral and intra - organ fat.
This is why it is much easier to do this for newly diagnosed persons. And a lot easier for pre diabetics.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Waleed. I was just wondering how you are getting on with your recovery.

The last we heard you were water fasting again and your BMI was below 20. I'm just wondering how you are getting on, and how your health is holding up. I know that it's almost a super human effort you have been making to reverse your diabetes, but I hope you understand that there may be limitations to what you are doing, that ultimately you may just have to accept.

I meant that sometimes weight loss alone will not necessarily provide a cure. Sometimes adult onset T1 (or slow onset T1.5) are misdiagnosed as T2, and we just have to accept it. Basically what I'm saying is that we haven't heard from you for a while and I just hope you haven't starved yourself to death (and only half joking there). ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

waleed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I started taking medications for diabetes 17 years ago, I was willing to continue so for the rest of my life if I hadn't felt that this was either not working or the adverse effects were intolerable, so in essence my continued efforts did not stem from a sort of whimp or a leisure activity. I either had muscle ache, high blood pressure, sleep disorders, sexual ddysfunction, headaches, short breath or many other unbearable. Things were obviously not right I had to swing between options.
My weight loss did not
Improve my condition. I guess I am losing muscles faster than fat. I decided to attempt to regain some muscles before resuming fat loss. Having given it a lot of thinking, I decided to use long acting insulin only to meet my basal requirement which is enough to stop the liver from wasting muscles but not enough to add on new fat. I think this will allow me to regain the muscles over the period of many months while I will be keeping an eye on my waistline. I figured if my diabetes gradually deteriorated, then maybe the correct way to reverse it should also be gradual.
Previous attempts to rebuild muscles failed and I was always gaining fat faster than muscles with an evident bulging belly at even low weight. I figured that may be I should not worry about keeping my BGs in check and instead focus on rebuilding my muscles so that I may re attempt to use more fat in the future.
Actually, I did read before
That patients with protein deficiency need to gain weight gradually rather than rapidly.
Somehow I feel that maybe diabetes develops in two stages. The first one when the pancreas can provide basal insulin but partial bolus. In this case weight loss will definitely help when bolus production has matched the body's needs. The second stage when the pancreas fails to provide even for the basal needs leading for loss of mass over some period of time and bringing about adaptations that should be addressed before attempting to instantly correcting blood glucose level which, if wrongly attempted, would lead to undesirable fat gains.
One last note; I will never submit to diabetes as long as I live.
Thanks for your follow up.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: 3 people

waleed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the update Waleed. Yes if you need basal insulin to control your BGL definitely take it.

BTW. Have you looked into a LCHF diet before? This has help me a lot. It keeps your insulin demands to an absolute minimum which helps with weight control. For the first time in a long time I seem to be able to maintain very good health on this diet.
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/low-carb-diet-forum.18/

I tried LCHF for many months and went as far as adopting ketogenic diet. The problem for me is the fact that whatever protein I eat gets converted to glucose immediately, and causing my BG to rise. Secondly this diet fixes the symptoms of diabetes not the root problem which I believe is the excessive lipids in the microvascular arteries and within body organs. And any diet would achieve the same end result provided it incorporates a calorie deficit. LCHF diet is an excellent way to do it if one can adopt it for a very long time with a calorie deficit. Obviously I couldn't and it became very difficult as my bodily fats became pretty low.

OldTech

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tried LCHF for many months and went as far as adopting ketogenic diet. The problem for me is the fact that whatever protein I eat gets converted to glucose immediately, and causing my BG to rise. Secondly this diet fixes the symptoms of diabetes not the root problem which I believe is the excessive lipids in the microvascular arteries and within body organs. And any diet would achieve the same end result provided it incorporates a calorie deficit. LCHF diet is an excellent way to do it if one can adopt it for a very long time with a calorie deficit. Obviously I couldn't and it became very difficult as my bodily fats became pretty low.

I have had quite good results on a keto diet. My glucose now generally stays below 100 even for postprandial readings and my last A1c was 4.5. I also easily lost weight on it and have maintained a stable weight ever since. I also think that a keto diet does much more than just help control glucose. It also minimizes insulin levels in the blood. It is important to note that it is high insulin levels that are a major cause of vascular damage (hypertension, peripheral artery disease, heart disease) that plagues type 2 diabetics.

Reactions: 6 people