Trying to conceive but afraid (I'm type 2 diabetic) help!

Meekzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I'm 36 and married with one child. My husband wants another but I'm scared of having to go on insulin. I've been seeing and reading so much negative information that kinda got me discouraged. I control my sugars well with being on janumet, yet I'm afraid because if I get pregnant my doctor said I'll have to go on insulin. Can someone please help with giving me some advice on how their pragnancy went.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there. I am type 1 and did 3 pregnancies . My insulin needs did go up because as you know you will become more insulin resistant during the last trimester in particular.
If you wanted to reduce the chances of needing more meds during pregnancy then the logical thing must be to improve your diet and exercise patterns but mainly diet so that you need less meds now e.g. doing the low carb thing. If that is going to work for you you should see results quickly i your blood sugars. Taking janvier won't cause you any too low blood sugars if you were to try cutting out or cutting down on bread, pasta, rice and sweet things!
My last baby was born when I was 37 so it obviously isn't too late but may take a little longer to conceive so don't leave it too late to make the changes.
If you are scared of jabs then I am sure you will find people here who have felt the same and yet coped with it for the sake of their baby so I am not saying that cutting carbs is the only option nor that it is inevitable that you would need insulin.
Good luck!