Trying to conceive

Wooly123

I’m type 1 diabetic although this isn’t necessarily about the diabetes as such.
Hubby and I just got married and are currently on honeymoon in Grenada (Caribbean) and one of the other guests also on honeymoon here mentioned that they will not be trying for a baby for a few months due to the risk of Zika virus. My husband and I have been waiting for what feels like forever for the wedding to be over to try for a baby and are so upset at hearing that Zika may be a concern. If we knew about this we wouldn’t have come here. After googling just now, I can see there hasn’t been any cases reported since 2016 and I will speak to my obs/Gyn doctor when we are back next week, but does anyone have any knowledge of this in the meantime to help put us at ease or give advice until we can speak to a doctor?

Bethan.92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, In 2018 I went to Mexico and discovered when I got back I was already pregnant. I went to my gp and they did a test but never sent it off to test for zika virus because apparently there was too many false positive results. When I asked the doctor when or how would I know about my baby having zika virus he wasn't overly concerned and said by the 20 week scan. I didn't worry about it and my baby was absolutely fine hope this puts your mind at rest a little.

Reactions: Wooly123

Wooly123

Hello, In 2018 I went to Mexico and discovered when I got back I was already pregnant. I went to my gp and they did a test but never sent it off to test for zika virus because apparently there was too many false positive results. When I asked the doctor when or how would I know about my baby having zika virus he wasn't overly concerned and said by the 20 week scan. I didn't worry about it and my baby was absolutely fine hope this puts your mind at rest a little.

Sorry, only just seen your response. Thanks, that does put us at ease a lot. Just trying to stay positive this time round . So exciting but also so scary after a miscarriage for my first pregnancy!