Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
.... and what is your problem?

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's great. Take control and you will be able to improve things.

Mybesteffort

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. I just reminded myself to keep eating properly. I was a breakfast and lunch skipper for years so its new to me.

I will be going for my first 3 month test soon.

Reactions: 3 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think breakfast is vastly overrated. I never have breakfast as I'm not hungry before lunchtime. Really, what's the point eating if you aren't hungry?

I do however eat lunch and dinner, two substantial meals every day, usually 6-7 hours apart.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Me.. One meal a day... Healthy size 8/10.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not a great breakfast eater either - and never really have been, though since I've had type 2 diabetes I've tried to eat breakfast. I often find that if I don't eat it or I'm late eating though, I can get high glucose levels from a "liver dump" - my liver trying to make sure I'm set energy wise up for the day. So if I don't want food, I'll compromise with a coffee with some double cream and that will usually keep me going until lunch time. I know there's a lot of advice about eating regular meals, but I believe you should listen to your body too, and not necessarily eat unless you're hungry. As you can see other people too are making their own decisions as to when they need to eat, so don't get too bothered about it. I believe that what we eat as diabetics is possibly more important than when we eat.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I'm not a great breakfast eater either - and never really have been, though since I've had type 2 diabetes I've tried to eat breakfast. I often find that if I don't eat it or I'm late eating though, I can get high glucose levels from a "liver dump" - my liver trying to make sure I'm set energy wise up for the day. So if I don't want food, I'll compromise with a coffee with some double cream and that will usually keep me going until lunch time. I know there's a lot of advice about eating regular meals, but I believe you should listen to your body too, and not necessarily eat unless you're hungry. As you can see other people too are making their own decisions as to when they need to eat, so don't get too bothered about it. I believe that what we eat as diabetics is possibly more important than when we eat.

Robbity
I agree. The only time I eat when I don't want to is when I have a boiled egg or a couple of spoonfuls of yoghurt for breakfast. I only do this to fool my liver into not dumping glucose. Basically I need several hours to build up an appetite for lunch. Unfortunately the opposite is true in the evening, when my appetite is very healthy :(

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with loads of carbs [carb re-feed]; I will experience the standard whoosh effect. If I hit the weight plateau, occasionally I use this to trick my body.

Mybesteffort

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, for the replies. This is helpful to me.

For me, I try to remember to eat because my tendency was to rush in the morning forget to eat and then grab something not so healthy on the way to work. I am doing pretty well in correcting my self Just a small breakfast now...protein not toast..

I am finding that the thought of food as pleasure has diminished moderately since on the metformin. Just don't seem to crave the tastes of food as much. Maybe that is the appetite suppressant part of it. Still make mistakes here and there (i.e.munching a whole bag of pork rinds or popcorn), but am losing weight. Still need to get more active. Still need to get my test strips. I try to focus on what I am doing right instead of bashing myself for slip ups.
I am finding it is a mental balancing act between looking at my unhealthy habits realistically and remaining positively committed to changing them.

Thanks again

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. I try to focus on what I am doing right instead of bashing myself for slip ups.
I am finding it is a mental balancing act between looking at my unhealthy habits realistically and remaining positively committed to changing them.

I think if you can maintain this attitude you'll do fine. All of us will probably have moments at some point when we are tempted to eat the "wrong" food, but if we just remember we can't be perfect all the time and carry on as we should be and not be deflected into a longer term binge, there's no harm done. So well done!

Robbity