Trying to encourage retailers...

Jon Lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I recently sent an email to Tesco bemoaning the lack of sugar free products and information on added sugar in products, I received a fairly bland reply that 'all valid information for each product will be printed on the packaging, so you would need to refer to each individual product for the relevant details.' This says nothing about added sugar. Also sugar content is not listed on things like alcoholic drinks. I think it may be a useful exercise for as many of us as possible to contact the major retailers to show there is a market for suitable products and a desire for more information. Any thoughts?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Tesco's are right, most products list the nutritional information on the packaging, for fresh goods I'm sure their website lists the nutritional content or you can look it up in books like Carbs & Cals or The Calorie Carb & Fat Bible.

Mailee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Jon. I too have written to retailers regarding better labelling of their products. As diabetes is a coomin illness, placing the carbohydrate content of the product on the front of the packaging along with the other usual nutritional information would made it far easier to decide if the product is suitable rather than having to read the sometimes exceedingly small nutritional information on the back. Carbs and Cals is OK for generalised information but I find FitnessPal on my smartphone a godsend as I can scan the barcode of a product and that in turn will give me all the info I require.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tough call, as much as I would love better labelling it can be hard to please every medical conditions requirements. As long as carb content is shown I'm happy, but maybe some clarity on this would be helpful as it's often in the tiniest writing!

Totally agree though there is a market for sugar free etc products - and I love how they are shared here when someone finds them, hence the current Oppo ice cream shortage (mainly as @KevinPotts is stockpiling it LOL) - also discovered LivLife bread here.

Reactions: 2 people