Trying to help friend who is pre diabetic

jeanie99

My friend told me his resent blood test showed he was pre diabetic. I tried to offer support advice and reassurance but his attitude was
I already eat a healthy diet so am not changing it if necessary I'll just go on tablets.

I also had a pre diabetic blood result some years ago I asked my GP if I altered by diet might make a difference. His attitude was that he didn't think it would be possible by diet to prevent me becoming a type 2 diabetic. I was surprised to say the least, I had thought that my GP would encourage me to at least try.
I read about meters you can buy to check your blood results and although the GP said this wasn't necessary I purchased one.
For weeks I kept a diary on everything I ate and found out all the foods which make my blood sugar high.
I know the food now I need to avoid and now have normal blood sugar levels.
At that time I considered I ate a healthy diet
e.g I cooked meals at home most days ate out once a week, rarely had take aways but when I started testing I found that potatoes which I ate most days was a no no for me as it raised my blood sugar too high. That was just one example it never occurred to me something like a potato could do that.
My friend has other health issues like myself and I find it hard to believe that a person wouldn't do everything they could to prevent becoming a diabetic, it is a terrible disease with many complications.
What I would say to anyone with a pre diabetic blood result, do what I did it is definitely worth trying what have you to loose.

Reactions: PreDiet

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can't force a person to 'Do what is healthy' , they need to come to that conclusion themselves , and if your friend has the same doctor as you , it's no surprise they have the same attitude . Personally I am pre diabetic usually have good results but I am not the type that can just 'Give up potato' just because that is the 'correct' thing to do for my blood results. (Had a reading of 8.6 ' my high' this morning because of potatoes yesterday) . Some people choose to stay eating normally including 'those foods' , as they just would go insane cutting it out.