Trying to keep an open mind.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Hopefully not so open that my brains fall out.

I will read everything I can about my diabetes, but will always try to investigate further, maybe gaining another perspective. To that end I watched Cyrus Khambatta, PhD and Robby Barbaro, from Mastering Diabetes in a webinar: How to Reverse Fatty Liver and Type 2 Diabetes.

There's a couple of things that came out of watching the webinar, the first being the recommendation of Amla or Indian gooseberry. Has anyone come across this gooseberry available in a green tea also capsules? The claims of it's efficacy for reducing BG are amazing. They showed charts of 1gm, 2 gm and 3gm doses against taking insulin. Almost too good to be true, which in my head means it is.

The other thing was their claim that following a low carb diet actually makes insulin resistance worse, something I need to investigate further. My own experience has been that after following a very low calorie low carb diet for 2 months my insulin resistance was higher than six months previously. Obviously not conclusive, especially as along with that my BG was considerably more stable and in the good range.

They were also recommending a diet containing some potato, pasta, bread, rice and again from experience I know my BG can go bonkers even with a slice of bread. I'm assuming that as they're are both type I, it's doesn't necessarily have the same outcome. Again not conclusive, just wondering if others have similar or even dissimilar experiences.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are both Type 1's and both follow a WFPB agenda.
It may or may not work for them but.....

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, @DavidGrahamJones

I believe you mentioned the raised insulin resistance with LC on another thread recently, and were directed towards some links on physiological insulin resistance. I know that when I found out more about PIR I found it quite reassuring and it put any concerns I had to rest, although having to weed through a number of blog soundbites was tedious before I mined deeply enough to find proper info.

Regarding excess insulin for Type 2s, I like this blog series because it actually address the condition as multifaceted and detailed, which of course it is. And raised insulin and insulin resistance will automatically follow when a T2 (characterised by insulin resistance) eats enough carbs to cause that resistance
http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2015/09/its-the-insulin-1.html

Regarding Cyrus and Robbie, yes, they are both type 1 diabetics, so can adjust their insulin doses to match their carb intake. I understand that they are also proponents of a lot of exercise, which will also factor in to their diabetes management.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have also been tracking Cyrus/Neal Barnard/Dr Greger etc. just to keep pace with all the different viewpoints.

I believe occasionally there are some followers of WFPB that pops by here. But have yet to see any of them share their Libre glucose chart after their fruits and starch heavy meals.

For now I consider having low carb based flatline glucose level as a safer option. In one of Cyrus Keto myth buster video, he claimed that millions around the world are adopting Keto diet and achieved flatline glucose and improved HbA1c...I sincerely wish that is true...because we can then have a good sample size for some large scale studies in future on the long term safety of keto diet...

Reactions: Colin of Kent

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

At the 2:00 min mark...millions of people around the world on ketogenic diet achieve a flatline blood glucose profile and greatly reduce or eliminate their need of medication.

I think there is no better endorsement of its efficacy than from its opponents...there is now no question of its effectiveness... :D

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I believe you mentioned the raised insulin resistance with LC on another thread recently, and were directed towards some links on physiological insulin resistance.

Thanks, you have an excellent memory, I've just scored 100% in an online Mensa test, yet my memory? . . . . . Thank heavens for the search facility, I can follow up, so long as I remember. LOL

As you mentioned in the post I found, you have to be very discerning with all the different sources of information and I feel that although I have type II diabetes, it's different to other people's type II diabetes, I have to suck it and see. I'm so use to no bread/pasta/potato/rice and fruits, that I don't feel the urge to change any time soon.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Late to the party. Just watched Cyrus Khambatta talking about insulin resistance and I've got to say he's very persuasive about eating more carbs especially if I can eat more fruit. But there's still something niggling me but I can't put my finger on it. I think it's got something to do with that this way of eating plus exercise increases insulin sensitivity. It doesn't seem logical or does it?

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The theory to me is illogical. For me why should I eat the very food which is suggested, which cause insulin resistance and increase my glucose levels.
Also some times when people say they are on a low carb diet and its mot working. When looking at what they are actually having is not low carb.
The proof is actually on the forum who have had success on both low carb and ketogenic diet.

Onerunshort

Hopefully not so open that my brains fall out.

I will read everything I can about my diabetes, but will always try to investigate further, maybe gaining another perspective. To that end I watched Cyrus Khambatta, PhD and Robby Barbaro, from Mastering Diabetes in a webinar: How to Reverse Fatty Liver and Type 2 Diabetes.

There's a couple of things that came out of watching the webinar, the first being the recommendation of Amla or Indian gooseberry. Has anyone come across this gooseberry available in a green tea also capsules? The claims of it's efficacy for reducing BG are amazing. They showed charts of 1gm, 2 gm and 3gm doses against taking insulin. Almost too good to be true, which in my head means it is.

The other thing was their claim that following a low carb diet actually makes insulin resistance worse, something I need to investigate further. My own experience has been that after following a very low calorie low carb diet for 2 months my insulin resistance was higher than six months previously. Obviously not conclusive, especially as along with that my BG was considerably more stable and in the good range.

They were also recommending a diet containing some potato, pasta, bread, rice and again from experience I know my BG can go bonkers even with a slice of bread. I'm assuming that as they're are both type I, it's doesn't necessarily have the same outcome. Again not conclusive, just wondering if others have similar or even dissimilar experiences.

I came across this article. It suggests low carb diets increase insulin resistance but that this isn't necessarily a problem.

https://kresserinstitute.com/normal-blood-sugar-isnt-normal-part-2/

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I;ve seen the videos and still get their emails. He is an adult onset type 1 promoting a vegan diet containing a ton of fruit and carbs. He is able to do this and remain extremely insulin sensitive if his own reports are to be believed because he is very muscular and a as a type 1 may just naturally be of the 25% of the population who do tolerate carbs very well.... But if a type 2 is someone who is proven to not tolerate carbs well then Cyrus's approach should only work if their diet was hellishly S.A.D beforehand (cutting out processed carbs and sugars is the low hanging fruit for any dietary change (especailly for Cyrus who eats 8 mangoes for lunch or something).
I do ont want to believe that this is because he eats low fat and no animal products (not a fun diet in a Northern climate) but nor must I believe it if there is no convincing mechanistic evidence for how eating saturated fat causes insulin resistance other than the physiological effect of becoming keto adapted?
Like the OP I'll continue to try to be open minded whilst enjoying the crackling in the meantime. I am worried about insulin resistance but see n o signs of it since I've been eating low carb (in a type 1 an increasing basal rate might show this provided all other things were equal).