1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Tubing discolouration

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Queenserene_, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Queenserene_

Queenserene_ Type 1 · Member

Hello all,

I have recently been having a problem in which the infusion set keeps turning orangey/red. I've had the pump since July last year and not had this issue until about a month go onwards.

Every time it happens i change all the tubing and cannula and I have changed sites completely (sites are all fine). Changed boxes of infusion set incase it was a dodgy batch but still happened. Pretty confident it's not off clothing.

I assumed it must be blood but the pump careline people don't seem to think it's likely.

Anyone had anything similar? Any ideas/suggestions much appreciated.

Thank you :)

Attached Files:

#1 Queenserene_, Mar 12, 2017 at 9:56 AM
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  2. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Obvious question is have you primed the tubing and if so did the discolouration move out of the tubing? If so then you know it's from you. Same as if it's on the outside have you tried removing it with an alcohol swab? What are your blood sugars like, normal or raised?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Queenserene_

Thanks for replying. When i ran the insulin through it does seem to be coming out clear from what I can tell. Yeah nothing came off the outside.

Readings seem fine and no one seems to think it's anything that's dangerous.

It's just really bizarre!

4. genix

genix Type 1 · Well-Known Member

How on earth can they claim anything if they cant even identify why or what it is.

5. Queenserene_

They are going on what I said on the phone only ... but yeah it's a bit odd! They asked me to send some of the infusion sets to them for analysis but said it's likely going to be a while before its done.

#5 Queenserene_, Mar 12, 2017 at 12:22 PM
  6. Queenserene_

It is weird because there's not blood when I take the cannula out . Really no idea what causes it!

7. Gaz-M

Gaz-M Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ive been on the insight for over a year and have never had this happen

8. Queenserene_

Hmm interesting. Yeah they said they've not really come across it. If it is something external or insulin interacting with wire or something I would expect others to have had the same issue!

Thanks for letting me know

9. Gaz-M

Gaz-M Type 1 · Well-Known Member

10. Snapsy

Snapsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Gosh @Queenserene_ , this is interesting - I haven't had this happen, but I'll watch out for discolouration like this! Hope you get to the bottom of it.

11. Queenserene_

Thanks! I keep the infusion sets in a cupboard (in the boxes they come in) @Gaz-M
    :)

#11 Queenserene_, Mar 12, 2017 at 9:27 PM
  12. Medusa41

Medusa41 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Queenserene_ That is odd - not had that happen either. Do hope you find out what it is.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Roken

Roken · Newbie

Did you ever get to the bottom off this. I've had the same thing over the past 2 - 3 weeks.

14. Queenserene_

Helll- Oh no that's weird. I didn't actually. I contacted the company and sent in the tubing and never heard back. Probably worth a try with them as they may know ?

15. Roken

Roken · Newbie

I tried dumping the insulin I was using, and switching to a newer batch (the previous batch was all still fresh, refrigerated until use, and well within date), and up to now (48 hours), there's no sign of discolouration, so perhaps it's coming from the insulin itself.

16. K.P

K.P Type 1 · Member

I had the same happen to me this morning I have no idea why this has happened I’ve been on the pump 10years and never had this problem before

Attached Files:

17. Seacrow

Seacrow LADA · Well-Known Member

It's coming from the pump. Have you checked the battery's not leaking?

18. username3

username3 · Member

This looks very odd. It could be coming from the interior of the pump. It could also be the result of overheating or some kind of reaction with the plastic. Both of you seem to have the same issue and it doesn't have the appearance of 'blood' from the images. If the discoloring persists with different batches of tubing then you may be able to get a new insulin pump and see if the issue remains.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook