Tuna burgers - how to bind - advice please.

Signs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
OK, I like dabbling in the kitchen but I'm definitely not a cook.
Been trying to make tuna burgers:

Tinned tuna (spring water)
Finely chopped smal onion
Dash worcester sauce
1 egg

Tastes delicious but the problem I'm having is binding it together. Sometimes a really hot frying pan will do it, other times they just fall apart or fall apart when I try to turn them over. Also tried chilling mixture in the fridge before cooking. Is there something I can add to bind them together or a technique that will help?

Thanks, John

sweetLea

Baking them in the oven might be easier. Alternatively, adding a little flax meal or cheese might help hold them better.
They sound yummy though! :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I agree with sweetlea that cheese is a good binding agent.

Signs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Would wheat bran do the same job?. Higher carbs but there wont be a lot of it.
There are lovely with cheese, never thought of adding it the mixture though, just sprinkled some grated on top, maybe try some with cheese in mixture.
John

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My tuna burgers are 1 tin of tuna (in spring water) and 1 egg. Drain tuna and mix with egg thoroughly, and then press into a burger shape using a bottom less mould (compressing as much as you can - I use the bottom of a glass). Dust 'em with almond flour, and chill 'em for a couple of hours.

Fry gently. They will spread out a little - but if you mould them to a little thicker than you want, they'll end up just the right thickness (I usually make 'em about 1" thick uncooked, and they end up about 5/8" after cooking).

Tuna burgers are great!

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Could try making breadcrumbs from 1 slice of stale Burgen Bread-It binded my spicy homemade Lamb and mint burgers together very well the other day! :wink:

WhitbyJet

http://maggiefuttert.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... ellen.html

Tuna fishcakes - serves 1, 1.5 carbs
Drain a can of tuna, squeeze excess fluid out with a fork, mix with 2 eggs, 1 tbsp of ground almonds, 20g grated cheese of your choice, season with salt, lemon pepper (or just ordinary freshly ground black pepper and a bit of lemon zest), little bit of paprika powder; add chopped herbs, eg finely chopped dill or parsley or chives if liked.
Divide mixture into two, shape into balls, then slightly flatten, melt some butter and oil (this prevents the butter from burning) in a frying pan and fry fish cakes on medium heat, turning over once till golden brown.
This is lovely served with a creamy cucumber salad = thinly slice a cucumber,. add salt, cover and leave to stand for 15 minutes, meanwhile make a dressing with a small tub of soured cream, salt, pepper, finely chopped dill, crushed clove of garlic if liked, squirt of vinegar and pinch of sweetener. Drain cucumber, toss in dressing and serve.

A

Anonymous

WhitbyJet said:
http://maggiefuttert.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/schnelle-kuche-thunfisch-frikadellen.html

Tuna fishcakes - serves 1, 1.5 carbs
Drain a can of tuna, squeeze excess fluid out with a fork, mix with 2 eggs, 1 tbsp of ground almonds, 20g grated cheese of your choice, season with salt, lemon pepper (or just ordinary freshly ground black pepper and a bit of lemon zest), little bit of paprika powder; add chopped herbs, eg finely chopped dill or parsley or chives if liked.
Divide mixture into two, shape into balls, then slightly flatten, melt some butter and oil (this prevents the butter from burning) in a frying pan and fry fish cakes on medium heat, turning over once till golden brown.
This is lovely served with a creamy cucumber salad = thinly slice a cucumber,. add salt, cover and leave to stand for 15 minutes, meanwhile make a dressing with a small tub of soured cream, salt, pepper, finely chopped dill, crushed clove of garlic if liked, squirt of vinegar and pinch of sweetener. Drain cucumber, toss in dressing and serve.

Ohhhhhhhhhh. I`m going to make those! Thank you xxx

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
....or you could mix it with a bit of mashed turnip.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'd use an egg to bind and I might try a little gram flour. It's possible to calculate its carbs, which are less than wheat flour.
Hana

WhitbyJet

wiflib said:
....or you could mix it with a bit of mashed turnip.

Oh wiflib, you started us off here in the office, we suddenly wanted buttery, mashed turnip for tea, cleared our local Sainsburys right out of turnips LOL, we bought all 9 of them.

Jeannesmum, pleased you liked the look of the recipe :D

Paul1976

Dislikes
@Whitby Jet....They sound yummy! I BBQ a lot in the summer and was wondering do you think they could be cooked on a BBQ okay?
Many thanks
Paul

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Isn't it funny that the more butter you add, the tastier it becomes.......

wiflib

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Paul, I think that if you were to put the burgers in a fish griller, or simply fry them in a pan over the heat they would work.

wiflib

Paul1976

Dislikes
Thanks both of you!! I'm going to have fun experimenting on the BBQ this year!!(Well,I hope anyway! :D )

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And then there's fresh tuna.......

wiflib

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hell YES there's fresh Tuna!!! Bloody lovely on the BBQ - just salt it and blast the outside on a HIGH heat! Leave it nice and pink (almost raw for me!) on the inside...