Turmeric

Ashmore69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone had advice on any problems for people living with diabetes taking Turmeric? Or maybe you're taking it already. It's becoming more and more popular now that it's many health benefits are being recognised. Any advice would be apperciated please. :thumbup:

I am not aware that it has been used to treat diabetes although it has been reported to help prevent or treat heart disease and certain types of cancers. As a diabetic there are 2 areas of concern:
1. If you take any sort of blood thinner like aspirin to prevent heart disease, the turmeric may make the blood thinner more potent
2. It also may make the diabetic drugs stronger and increase your risk of hypoglycemia.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Its marvellous.
I know some who rate it higher than cinnamon.
Works wonders for your cholesterol and helps a fatty liver.
Then the theory goes it can help the pancreas with better blood sugar control ( clean organs work better).
Lots more benefits to read via Google :)

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

Ashmore69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Great, thank you, and you learn something new every day. Had no idea cinnamon had its benefits too. :)

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cinnamon is the closest thing to herbal metformin!
Pharmaceutical companies are only sorry they can`t repackage it with a glossy name and triple the price.
The main two types are cassia and ceylon, the latter being more pure.
The simple stuff you get from the supermarket should usually be cassia as its more readily available, but it rarely tells you which.
One concern is that the bark also contains a compound called courmarin its in minute levels but is regarded as toxic to the liver, so its wise to keep intake sensibly controlled.
You can avoid the courmarin by taking the cinnamon in tea form or straining the cinnamon. This gives you its benefits but keeps the courmarin in the bark.
Personally, i just take half a teaspoon am and pm.

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app