Two-year-old pricked by diabetes lancet at Wetherspoon pub

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
To be perfectly fair the parents would not know that the user did not have an infectious disease as well as diabetes. No harm in playing safe.[/B]
I get a sharps bin on prescription which when full is collected by the pharmacist.
On the question of CGM v finger pricks, I understand that the DVLA does not recognise CGM readings but insists on "real" blood tests,

I agree wholeheartedly with your first paragraph,

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have not seen single use lancets / devices for a while in the pharmacy I go to, they are some thing from the Inquisition day.

Multiclix and Fastclix lancets just don't fall out, if the lancing device goes walkabout the lancets are shielded

The device wouldn't be shielded if the person in question changed their existing used lancet for a new one at the table, the old one could of rolled off on to floor or accidentally dropped and then forgotten about, so needle exposed.
Lots of if's, but's and maybe's in this situation.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, of all the things a child is likely to encounter underneath a bar table, a lancet would be a minor worry.
discarded chewing gum
filthy carpet
mud
smears of dog faeces and other dirt from shoes
broken glass
stale food fragments
accidental kicking

Perhaps the parents should get the child checked out for worms, ghiardia, toxoplasmosis and cuts and bruises as well, to name but a few.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi barbherod, I don't think any of us are blaming the parents for getting the infectious disease test done (we would ALL do that), but it's the way they word these articles, leaving ignorant people with the impression the child is being tested for diabetes(!) or with the implication that a diabetic per se is somehow contagious or dirty. It may seem a petty thing but it is part and parcel of what I call 'casual discrimination', small negative inferences that build up.

@DCUKMod. Question - Does the DCUK Newsbot only show these 'news' articles on here or elsewhere, either in the diabetic world or the non diabetic world ? Would be interesting to know.
Many thanks.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well, of all the things a child is likely to encounter underneath a bar table, a lancet would be a minor worry.
discarded chewing gum
filthy carpet
mud
smears of dog faeces and other dirt from shoes
broken glass
stale food fragments
accidental kicking

Perhaps the parents should get the child checked out for worms, ghiardia, toxoplasmosis and cuts and bruises as well, to name but a few.

I wouldn't call a used or an unused lancet, a minor worry !! :wideyed: Everyday dirt and germs makes our immune syytem work better, I grew up with probably all of the above................. except for a used or an unused lancet.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Even if that was the case, the concerned parents wouldn't know that, would they ?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
As I said before..... concerned enough to let their 2 year old crawl around on the floor in a pub.....what can I say?

Do you have children ? we don't know if the child was crawling around on the pub floor, was that all over the pub floor, part of it, having a tantrum and constantly moving about ? Children should be allowed some freedom when out and about, but watched by an adult, as they are inquisitive and into everything.
If it was my child or grandchild who was pricked by a device unknown to me at the time and the establishment didn't know where it came from, I would be concerned enough to get the child medically checked out.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have children ? we don't know if the child was crawling around on the pub floor, was that all over the pub floor, part of it, having a tantrum and constantly moving about ? Children should be allowed some freedom when out and about, but watched by an adult, as they are inquisitive and into everything.
If it was my child or grandchild who was pricked by a device unknown to me at the time and the establishment didn't know where it came from, I would be concerned enough to get the child medically checked out.

No I don't have kids but if I did I think I might check out the floor before allowing them on it? Broken glass maybe?
We do that when we take the dog into a pub so I'd be very saddened to think that parents don't.
"Oscar found the lancet under a table at The Glass House in St Helens on 21 October"
I'm assuming it was on the floor?
Mine are bright blue so quite hard to miss even with a cursory glance...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't call a used or an unused lancet, a minor worry !! :wideyed: Everyday dirt and germs makes our immune syytem work better, I grew up with probably all of the above................. except for a used or an unused lancet.

The odds of meeting a lancet are incredibly miniscule compared with the other things I listed - therefore it would be a minor worry in comparison.

Maybe the world is divided into two groups. People who think it is fine to let their child crawl about on pub floors, and people who don't think that is OK.

I am in the latter group, especially since 3 weeks ago we saw a family with two kids ignore them for over an hour while the kids crawled under tables and chairs, climbed onto seats, collected tomato sauce sachets, chewed them and dropped them, and bothered other customers - while shouting and chasing each other.
Eventually the staff stepped in and asked the parents to control their children, or leave. They left. In a huff.

All the other customers seemed very relieved.

Last edited:
Reactions: Madmaureen

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be fair the article doesnt say the child was crawling around the floor or abandoned under the table...it just says the child found it under a table.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@DCUKMod. Question - Does the DCUK Newsbot only show these 'news' articles on here or elsewhere, either in the diabetic world or the non diabetic world ? Would be interesting to know.
Many thanks.
I'm led to believe on the www so accessible if googled. It's not just for forum member's viewing.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
If a child or adult gets stabbed by accident with a used fork or knife bacteria can cause sepsis, in some cases.
Like others have stated.
There is danger.... crossing a road.
Many diabetic dinners will most likely test their sugars before eating or drinking in a pub/restaurant. Not just in a Wetherspoons.
I'm not asking restaurants to cater for my testing like smokers were with an ashtray years ago.
I'm happy to be very careful if I'm using any blood drawing equipment. For everyone's care.
Wetherspoon's duty of care may get tested in this case, or maybe not.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
D

Deleted member 308541

Well, everyone knows "dibeetus" is contagious...
That was all the go catching std's from toilet seats in the 1960's.
The device wouldn't be shielded if the person in question changed their existing used lancet for a new one at the table, the old one could of rolled off on to floor or accidentally dropped and then forgotten about, so needle exposed.
Lots of if's, but's and maybe's in this situation.
Thankfully the lancets are retracted into the drum, so if you do drop a fast / multi clix lancet drum it is not going to cause a needle stick injury.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Sorry Robin, it's a little off topic but I have children and there was NO way I gave them any freedom in a pub, not the place. If they were the 'inquisitive' type that ran about everywhere in a pub or restaurant then I wouldn't take them in, ever.

Reactions: Struma

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Kids are accepted into resteraunt areas of pubs.. Like dogs if they are well behave & not a nuisance to the clientele.

One word is FastClix,
Six lancets in a drum that when removed from the lancing wand
become redundant, forming a shielded secure bond
shrouding these sharp shafts after the task in a niffy cover
Protecting other folk from the inception of infection like distracted mothers
Or courting lovers on a dinner date feeling that discreet blood testing
Should be done in a restroom or a hospital ward, nothing distasteful
With the average diner having to wine about the general cleanliness of establishments
Causing the distress & bother to a toddler crawling south, with only Lego out of the mouth of babes
it craves the exploratory, but not a laboratory test done as you would with a young 'un.
But at the end of the day, this is not the home nest. It's a public access
& there are hazards lurking in a working environment frequented by wafes & strays
The kid could have easily picked up some "class A."
in which case, The news wouldn't have made the BG aware scared & take care of the medical waste...

Reactions: mike@work