**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
Hi

I was informed earlier in my pregnancy that it is quite standard for Type 1s to be commenced on Metformin at some point in their pregnancy and it seems my time has come.

My nurse gave me quite a bit of info over the phone around the number of studies showing it is safe and does not transfer to the baby. However, she didn't answer my question around how long I will be on it. My worry is that once I'm on it, they will be hesitant to take me off it again.

Does anyone have any experience around this?

I'm also concerned about the gastric effects. My pregnancy is already filled with unsettled stomachs and bloat and other rather unglamorous symptoms.

Thanks
Michelle x

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I don't have type 1 experience, but I've had discussions about Metformin as well in both pregnancies, but have so far not taken it. Can I ask, out of curiosity, what is the reason for you? For me it was higher blood sugars in the early morning.

Emck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

I was informed earlier in my pregnancy that it is quite standard for Type 1s to be commenced on Metformin at some point in their pregnancy and it seems my time has come.

My nurse gave me quite a bit of info over the phone around the number of studies showing it is safe and does not transfer to the baby. However, she didn't answer my question around how long I will be on it. My worry is that once I'm on it, they will be hesitant to take me off it again.

Does anyone have any experience around this?

I'm also concerned about the gastric effects. My pregnancy is already filled with unsettled stomachs and bloat and other rather unglamorous symptoms.

Thanks
Michelle x
Hi there,

I’m about 15 weeks and have just started metformin to help with insulin resistance. I am generally quite insulin resistant anyway and expressed concerns to my consultant about how that might increase over the next few months.

I started on Saturday with one tablet (i asked to be put on the slow release formula to help avoid gastric problems). I had some tummy issues on that day but have been ok since.

My insulin requirements have reduced by just over 10% so far and I think they might need tweaked a bit more. I’m going to up my dose to two tablets this weekend. The consultant recommended that I pre-emptively reduced my doses by another 10% to avoid the hypos that I’ve been having this week.

I’ve heard that once you give birth, the insulin resistance disappears so you can probably stop then, unless you require it to help with any resistance that you have.
Hope it all goes well for you!

Reactions: **shell**
Hi OP, I’m a T1 considering pregnancy and I’ve done a lot of research with fellow T1 moms, docs, books etc.
Metformin IS often suggested once insulin resistance starts kicking in. The real answer in regards to the metformin is… it’s up to YOU.
They can’t force you to be on it..

Insulin resistance effectively vanishes once you give birth for most or within a few days for some.
In fact, the consultant will tell you that for after birth to set a temporary basal on your pump of (usually) 50%. That’s how drastically insulin requirements drop.

My assumption is that you will be directed to take it until you show up at the hospital/birthing centre.

If you have existing insulin resistance you might like to explore it afterbirth too (just wait to finish the breast feeding period as that can cause a lot of lows on its own) but that is up to you.

Good luck and ensure you load up on protein ♥️

Reactions: **shell**