1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1: A good HbA1C without hypos?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Soplewis12, Jan 8, 2017.

1. ann34+

ann34+ Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes, i think you are correct , it does do the above. Also, research last year, and research reported recently re type ones, shows a cardioprotective effect (i think this was found for type 2s earlier), i am not sure how this effect happens or whether it is just due to reduction of insulin resistance. maybe these studies are what Dillinger is referring to. At the moment, at least in the NHS, i have been told that only type ones in certain categories are prescribed it - i am not being prescribed it, despite asking about it, even though i am older and in a risk group, i am just too insulin sensitive.
    Insulin sensitivity, as the original OP has found, is not always easy, and dealing with it can be quite challenging.

• Like Like x 2
    #61 ann34+, Jan 17, 2017 at 6:50 PM
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  2. Jurga66

Jurga66 Type 1 · Member

Hello,everyone,yesterday my son had a hb1ac test done,i am really happy with the result,same as 3 months ago it came up to average level of 35, so happy we r doing a good job looking after him ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Hoping4Cure

Hoping4Cure Type 1 · Well-Known Member

To get an average of 5.9, in the presence of spikes in the teens, requires there to be hypos, including some very bad ones, to balance it out. There is just no way around that. So very low A1Cs can be quite dangerous. The mean doesn't tell the whole story, one has to look at sugar variance as well. Ergo, the law of small numbers / aka Bernstein to the rescue, plus drugs like GLP-1 can help lower sugar variance drastically too. It cut mine in half, literally overnight.

I've successfully kept my A1C in the low 6s most of my adult life, but only recently decided this wasn't optimal after reading the "Golden Years" study, showing that longest lived type 1 diabetics have an A1C on average of 7.6.

Glucotoxicity isn't the only thing that matters, there is also insulin toxicity. Hypos can cause heart failure, sudden death, car accidents, comas.

The best goal to my mind is keeping A1C reasonable, whilst minimizing insulin TDD as the primary objective.

To do that, the best way is calorie restriction and LCHF, IMO, but also retreating from the obsession that you have to keep sugars in the perfect range via insulin shots, rather than via urination (and ideally diet to avoid spiking sugars in the first place).

So I'd suggest that prioritizing low TDD over extremely low A1C is the smart move, for both short-term safety and longevity's sake. And lowering TDD while maintaining a decent, middling A1C, is typically achieved through diet and exercise (lean muscle requires less insulin since it's more sensitive).

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hoping4Cure

Hoping4Cure Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Low A1C is only one number. Hypo frequency and severity is potentially far more important, especially over the short-term. Lowering A1C by increasing hypos is not a good tradeoff, IMO.

5. Jurga66

Jurga66 Type 1 · Member

Lowering A1C by increasing hypos??? We dont do that!!! He's not having hypos frequency...i do know hypos are not good and trying to avoid it by checking him very often..

6. Jurga66

Jurga66 Type 1 · Member

We r trying to avoid hypos by checking him often,we r using libra sensors

7. CathP

CathP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Congratulations Jurga, a great result.

8. Jurga66

Jurga66 Type 1 · Member

Thank u

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook