type 1 age 10 - ski holiday

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last Christmas and we are planning a ski trip in January. I have been advised that the insulin is absorbed more slowly in extreme cold? I would be keen to hear from anyone who has had experience in coping with diabetes on a ski holiday - any feedback would be welcome.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have never experienced tthis myself, but T1 husband used to come skiing and loved it. We never had a problem. the important thing is TEST,TESTand TEST AGAIN and have a wonderful time. If I weren't such a large lady, I'd come hide in your suitcases. Also remember, you will burn off more fuel keeping warm.

tango

Dislikes
negative people
i was diagnosed type 1 in mar 07 and ive been ski-ing 3 times since then. All i ensured was that i had a good breakfast everyday and my levels were fairly normal. However with it being quite a physical activity it is worth having the odd hot chocalate throughout the day to keep you topped up. One slight problem i had was that i went to Lapland twice where it is a lot colder than the rest of Europe (minus 30 one day) and my monitor wouldnt work at lunch time untill i had warmed it up in a cafe for about 15 mins. From then on i managed to overcome this by wrapping it up in a pair of socks and then in a woolen hat and anything else i had to hand in my rucksack.Also you must keep the insulin from freezing, for this i used a FRIO pouch (if you dont put water in it it acts as an insulator), and also keep it in your inside jacket pocket to keep warm. Apart from these little matters the rest of my hols were just normal and there was nothing that i couldnt do. Hope you have a great time.

Daz

I went snowboarding in bulgaria one year and got seperated from my mates, no one was about and I felt a hypo coming on....... thank heavens for lucozade tabs, sat down in the snow for about 15-20 mins and then i was ok, so carried on to the next cafe, had a snack and was ok for the rest of the day.

I know im gonna get into trouble for this but for the rest of the holiday after breakfast I never took any insulin until I got back from boarding/skiing so my sugar was raised whilst out there, worked for me and i felt more confident that I wouldnt go hypo on top of a deserted mountain !!!

Just make sure that you prepare yourself with a good breakfast and remember to carry glucose tabs all the time (and a mobile phone, put in the ski patrols number just in case) if with a group those little radios are a good idea as constant texts or calls cost a hell of a lot abroad.

Have fun and dont worry too much :D

ps: if you can, learn the local lingo for "I'm Diabetic, I need sugar !!!"

sugar2

I am jealous!!!!!!! Can I come too??

I have been skiing as a T1, and didn't notice any difference with absorption. The thing I did notice was that all that exercise meant that I did need extra carbs. The other thing to make sure is that lots of extra sugar, glucose tabs, chocolate (anything high carb and easy to eat in gloves is put in all the pocets of her ski jacket. On my first day skiing, we managed to miss the last lift and had to ski home in the dark. I was very glad of all the extra stores of food I had in my pockets. I do have to say that this was many years ago, before carb counting...so it may not be as important, but don't rely on anybody else to look after her "supplies", she needs to have them to hand. Other than that, hope she has a great time! It is good to see that she lives her life with diabetes, and doesn't let it stop her.

ritasamson

hi, can any one tell me about the diabetic experience in so cold weather.