Type 1 and Bipolar Disorder (Quetiapine)

Lunar_Lapin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone with Type 1 Diabetes have any experience of taking Quetiapine (Atrolak XL)?

I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder 7/8 years ago and have today been prescribed Quetiapine. Having done a little reading, I am slightly concerned as common recorded side effects include elevated blood glucose and weight gain. It can also place stress on kidneys and thyroid as well as increase LDL levels.

As a hypothyroid type 1 I am already struggling to lose the 38lbs gained since starting the contraceptive injection and am incredibly nervous about taking this medication.

I am aware that I should be discussing these concerns with a health professional and will do as soon as my doctor is available again after Christmas - I just wondered if anyone had any insight or experience.

Ellie

Reactions: ally1

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Am type2 and have bipolar.
I am on 100mg quetiapine. My psych is very knowledgeable about diabetes. My bs levels have risen slightly since being on this. But my psych is not keen on increasing quetiapine because of being diabetic. If my bipolar gets worse then he has agreed to look at other options. Weight gain has increased. Also I am constantly hungry x