Type 1 and flu

luzanmurphy_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’ve just had a small case of flu. My BG is so high just can’t get it down. I’m usually between 6.8-7.4 Now I’m 11.2-15.3 Just can’t get it down no matter how much insulin I give. Don’t what I’m doing. Someone please help. Thanks in advance x

D

Deleted Account

Sorry to read you are under the weather.

A few things to consider
- when we are ill, our liver releases more glucose to fight the bugs so, often we need to increase our background, basal insulin
- when our BG gets high, we often become insulin resistant so need more bolus to correct
- increasing both can lead to hypos so we need to test even more and try to avoid "rage bolusing" when we don't see our numbers dropping as fast as we'd like
- if our BG gets too high for too long, we are at risk of DKA. Therefore, it is a good idea to test your ketones and follow the "sick rules". These are available on the diabetes.co.uk site.
- when we get ill and our BG doesn't come down we get stress and stress pushes our BG up higher. So, as much as possible, try to relax, look after yourself and don't push yourself to get better too quickly
- in my experience, having diabetes, I do not get ill more than I did before I had diabetes and I am not ill for longer. However, high BG exaggerates any aches, pains, sniffs, niggles. So I can feel worse if I don't get my BG under control.

And one last thing (unrelated to your illness), your avatar says you have type 2 and you have posted under type 1. Is this correct? Those of us with type 1 try to be helpful to everyone so I don't think anyone minds see a few people with type 2 on here. However, if your profile is incorrect, you may want to update it.

Look after yourself and I hope you feel better soon.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I second everything said above ( saved me a lot of typing ) . A small addition I would add is that even when we feel better and over the flu it can still take 3/5 days for our bodies to settle back down and BS return to normal.
Hope you feel better soon.

luzanmurphy_

Type of diabetes
Type 2

A few things to consider
- when we are ill, our liver releases more glucose to fight the bugs so, often we need to increase our background, basal insulin
- when our BG gets high, we often become insulin resistant so need more bolus to correct
- increasing both can lead to hypos so we need to test even more and try to avoid "rage bolusing" when we don't see our numbers dropping as fast as we'd like
- if our BG gets too high for too long, we are at risk of DKA. Therefore, it is a good idea to test your ketones and follow the "sick rules". These are available on the diabetes.co.uk site.
- when we get ill and our BG doesn't come down we get stress and stress pushes our BG up higher. So, as much as possible, try to relax, look after yourself and don't push yourself to get better too quickly
- in my experience, having diabetes, I do not get ill more than I did before I had diabetes and I am not ill for longer. However, high BG exaggerates any aches, pains, sniffs, niggles. So I can feel worse if I don't get my BG under control.

And one last thing (unrelated to your illness), your avatar says you have type 2 and you have posted under type 1. Is this correct? Those of us with type 1 try to be helpful to everyone so I don't think anyone minds see a few people with type 2 on here. However, if your profile is incorrect, you may want to update it.

Yes I was misdiagnosed as type 2 when I joined. I have tried to change it with no luck. I’ve been type 1 for 3 years x

luzanmurphy_

Type of diabetes
Type 2

A few things to consider

If I increase my basal insulin by 1 unit at what point do I change it back or is the change permanent. I’ve been feeling 100% better for the past 3 days but BG still crazy??

D

Deleted Account

If I increase my basal insulin by 1 unit at what point do I change it back or is the change permanent. I’ve been feeling 100% better for the past 3 days but BG still crazy??
Unfortunately it is trial and error but the increased basal should not be permanent.
I would reduce my basal when my BG is starting to come down.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @luzanmurphy_ , I am surprised your DSN has not discussed a sick days plan with you as part of your diabetes education. Also your DSN or doctor should be your first port of call when you are having troubles such as you describe. So maybe book in to see your DSN and get the plan sorted, yeah? As a T1D, not as professional advice or opinion:
Personally when unwell I need to raise my insulin doses (bolus and basal) by 20% at least to see any effect on a high BSL.
And i usually go to 30% with BSL > 13 mmol/l. You will find what works for you.
I do the same increase after my 'flu vaccination for 4 days or so, because I read the body is being stressed into producing flu antibodies by being given a small dose of the flu. Lady diabetics increase their insulin doses for period time etc.
As @helensaramay says, once BSLs fall back the dose needs to be reduced to avoid hypos !!
Best Wishes on a smooth recovery!! :):):)

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As mentioned, you will need to adjust your basal, by how much though is just trial and error. The standard advice is you will need to adjust it by 10-20% for regular colds etc. Although, I had pneumonia a few weeks ago, I was really ill and I had to double my basal, which was a bit scary, but did the trick.

To test whether your basal dose is correct, don't eat anything, or inject fast acting insulin, within a few hours of bed. Then for every 1.6mmol/l change in overnight levels, adjust your basal by 10%.

Mike_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sick day procedure with raised blood glucose up to 15, is to work out your normal daily total insulin dosage, basal plus bolus and take 10% of this every two hours during the day. With blood glucose over 15 you should take 20% every two hours. In the past I’ve found this works.

Reactions: SamJB