Type 1 and Frozen Shoulders

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi @Ladybirdy75
my physio is excellent to be fair and she mentioned a procedure that can be done on frozen shoulder whereby a mixture of steriod , saline water and local anaesthetic are injected . apparently results are quite good.
I can find out the doctors name if you want ( he is in manchester ) --I can ring my physio next wednesday.

Hi Himtoo,

I just realised that you were referring to the procedure I had: hydrodilatation or the even longer name of arthrographic distension.

Reactions: 4 people

Ladybirdy75

I've had a frozen shoulder since February. It wasn't too bad for for the first two months: moderately painful and it didn't seem to limit my movement. I thought I'd just pulled a muscle.

Then, my arm did "freeze" and I lost the ability to reach up or outwards. Luckily I have a desk job, but as others have said, everyday activities like getting dressed or getting tokens from multi-storey parking meters are now very awkward.

My GP didn't blame diabetes, but my original stay in intensive care (which resulted in diabetes) during which time I was immobile for two months. I've been having (painful) physiotherapy for the past 4 weeks, twice daily exercises, plus a steroid injection which made no difference. I was prescribed Co-codamol, but it doesn't really help (particularly at night when I can't sleep). My physio also recommended that I apply heat as much as possible e.g. a hot water bottle or wheat bag.

I recently saw an orthopaedic surgeon and was given a 'hydrodilatation' procedure yesterday that seems to have helped a little. I was advised to allow three weeks for full improvement, but it only works in 70% of cases. Basically a mix of anaesthetic, steroid and saline is accurately injected by a radiologist using x-Rays, so it's safer and less painful than surgery. (I'm not fit enough for surgery at present anyway.)

The orthopaedic surgeon told me that the frozen shoulder was caused by diabetes, not my intensive care stay, even though I've only been T1 since November (odd).

Anyway, I re-start physio tomorrow (also known as torture!).

Thanks so much for commenting. I have not really heard of the hydrodialation procedure before this post. Like you I'm not a good surgery candidate due to my heart and blood thinners so when i get my appointment at the hospital I'll ask more about that. Really hope the physio and procedure work for you. Keep us posted if possible ?

Reactions: 2 people

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi Ladybirdy75, everyone,

Thanks and I'm pleased to report good and measurable progress at the physio this morning.

Firstly, I slept really well last night for the first time in a couple of months, which is very welcome progress in itself.

Various measurements were taken at the start of the physio session and compared to previous records: to be honest, I was disappointed as there was only a small 2 cm improvement in my upwards/forwards movement (sorry don't know the technical name) and minimal lateral movement. Bear in mind that this was the first appointment of the day and my muscles, tendons, etc hadn't had a warm up.

However, after half hour or so "on the rack", fresh measurements were taken and the improvement was a massive 20cm forwards/upwards (still minimal laterally). This is very encouraging, given that previous sessions have resulted in very little improvement.

In addition, the therapy wasn't anywhere near as painful as on previous visits and quickly dissipated.

I realise it's early days, but it does look promising. I'll report back in a month, although feel free to ask questions.

Reactions: 8 people

Ladybirdy75

Hi Ledzeptt. Wow!! That sounds fantastic, am so happy for you. Oh to have an unbroken nights sleep .............bliss lol. Those results are very encouraging indeed. Keep keeping us updated Ledzeptt

Reactions: 6 people

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm wondering, all you lovely people who have commented, if any of you have heart problems?? I had a heart attack on 19th March and consequently been diagnosed with further coronary heart disease. It is a factor and increases risk for frozen shoulders.
Started with the frozen shoulders years ago. Only in the last four years diagnosed with heart problems and had triple heart bypass eighteen months ago. Feeling so much better now.

Reactions: 6 people

Ladybirdy75

Started with the frozen shoulders years ago. Only in the last four years diagnosed with heart problems and had triple heart bypass eighteen months ago. Feeling so much better now.

Ooh so sorry to hear about that Dodo. I hope you continue to get and feel better. Are your shoulders "thawed" now or are you still having problems with them?

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ooh so sorry to hear about that Dodo. I hope you continue to get and feel better. Are your shoulders "thawed" now or are you still having problems with them?
Ladybird75 - my shoulders are approx 80% better than they were and I can live with that. No pain and I'm able to put my arms up my back which I couldn't before (still not able to do a bra fastening though).

Ladybirdy75

Ladybird75 - my shoulders are approx 80% better than they were and I can live with that. No pain and I'm able to put my arms up my back which I couldn't before (still not able to do a bra fastening though).

Yes the dreaded bra!!!!! Terrible isn't it lol. My right arm is, very very recently, able to go to the top of my bum but my left can only get to the side. I started my cardiac exercise re-hab sessions last week and when they shouted "hands on your hips" i felt really embarrassed as my arms can't/won't do that. Have you had any hand problems? Trigger finger or the like?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Yes the dreaded bra!!!!! Terrible isn't it lol. My right arm is, very very recently, able to go to the top of my bum but my left can only get to the side. I started my cardiac exercise re-hab sessions last week and when they shouted "hands on your hips" i felt really embarrassed as my arms can't/won't do that. Have you had any hand problems? Trigger finger or the like?

I can get my hands on my hips, but the left shoulder is more stiff than the right, but that's probably due to it not being used for months. I still to do stretching exercises and I do physical work, lots of walking and carrying bags on my shoulders, painting and decorating at home. At the moment I have pain on the right side of my back ( it's only ever the right), like someone is sticking a sharp pencil in, then releasing it, I am pretty sure it is to do with the frozen shoulder. I have never had Trigger finger, but have heard about it from members on here. Do you have a partner ? If so could they massage your shoulders for you, I'm sure it could be very beneficial to both ;):)
Take care RRB

Ladybirdy75

heh heh. Yes, back 4 years ago when my right first froze up my hubby used to have sympathy and massage it (my shoulder area RRB!) for me but 4 years on he just rolls his eyes lol. He is also having to come on daily walks with me since my heart attack so i daren't ask him for anything else lol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
heh heh. Yes, back 4 years ago when my right first froze up my hubby used to have sympathy and massage it (my shoulder area RRB!) for me but 4 years on he just rolls his eyes lol. He is also having to come on daily walks with me since my heart attack so i daren't ask him for anything else lol

A man refusing a massage, never lol Have the massage, on your shoulders, after the walk, nudge nudge ( this is only from memory from what I can remember ) :rolleyes: good luck :)

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I've only been diagnosed with type 1 for 2 1/2 years but have had various degrees of frozen shoulders for at least five years; I just put it down to middle age and doing a job that infrequently requires huge amounts of heavy lifting. I have had a trigger thumb for at least twenty years but it only happens when I get angry or frustrated. Didn't realise that there was any link with diabetes. Does anyone have any links they could post to research/stats to this link, would be very interested to see. thanks
Hi andybee,just seen your post look at jenny ruhl's book diet101 couple,of,paragraphs in it explaining the links

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Operation for trigger thumb about 2 months ago!

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had and still have a partial frozen shoulder, went to have the op and surgeon decided to force shoulder / arm upwards afterwards when I couldn't move it properly said it could I had more physio exercises and worse pain for many months. Decided I'd had enough some eventual improvement in movement but still unable to use shoulder properly without pain. Thought going private would be better but obviously not. This was about 3 years ago now. Good luck hope yours gets better.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I've had frozen shoulders for several years, had osteopathy which didn't help a great deal, had a massage which was wonderful and I felt would help if I could afford to have one every day! Which I can't! :)

What has helped me is lying flat on my back on the floor (on my yoga mat). Sometimes it's more comfortable to lie for a while with my knees bent, before lying completely flat. Sometimes I use a small pillow under my head for a while before moving that away. When I've relaxed into lying flat, I stretch one arm at a time up beyond my head, then back and relax. Then I stretch both arms together up beyond my head, hold the stretch for a while and then return them and relax. I then practise moving each arm out to the side, elbow bent. I find it very hard to lay the arm flat but it's easier one arm at a time.

Standing, I find that raising my arms out to the side like wings is much more difficult than raising my arms forward and up.

I massage my own shoulders. Each hand can massage the opposite shoulder and upper arm. I use almond oil containing a couple of drops of lavender essential oil. I massage the top of the shoulder, the front of that shoulder, as far as I can reach down my back, the back, front and top of the arm, applying a little pressure with my thumb and fingers in a circular motion. And the base of my neck.

You can buy front-fastening bras. Changing-rooms can be a nightmare for those with frozen shoulders as I well know! I once spent about half an hour trying to get out of some garment I'd tried on! Struggling into a jacket can be very embarrassing!

Last edited by a moderator:
C

catherinecherub

There are some exercises that can be done in this article. No good trying them if your shoulder is too stiff but when it starts to thaw they are ideal. Similar to the ones that I was given by physio when my second shoulder froze.

http://www.ouh.nhs.uk/shoulderandelbow/information/documents/a4frozenshoulderappendix3.pdf

First shoulder took 2 years to get back to normal and second one came on about 6 months later and also took two years. There were times when I was in so much pain that I did not know how to relieve it and used to think it would never get any better. It is so draining having the pain day in and day out and trying to avoid things that made it worse. I now have a full range of movement in both shoulders and anyone suffering from this has my sympathy.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow so I am not the only 1 who is experiencing these issues. I have had 2 frozen shoulders for about 8 years or so. They are not painful as such its just that my movement can be a bit limited, I can just about put my arms halfway up my back.

As for trigger finger I have now had both hands done, one about 5 years ago, the other a few months ago. And just so I get the full set have also had carpal tunnel syndrome on one hand about 18 years ago.

Oh the joys of diabetes