Type 1 and Glandular Fever

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I had glandular fever when I was 22 and I didn't have diabetes back then but I did have a very sore mouth and throat. Get your GP to check you don't have oral thrush, it is quite common in GF patients. Get well soon, feel for you.

Ali

Reactions: 2 people

MsPrim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lemons
Glandular Fever is awful - i had it when i was 10 years old. I was off school for six weeks. Even though i am 38 years old i remember that time well as i had never been so sick before then. I didn't have diabetes then or any other health problems at that time, luckily.

I hope you feel better soon chocoholic ;)

chocoholic

Thank you for kind wishes msprim. I have spent two months in bed but after a couple of bad relapses, I AM now getting back on my feet a bit. I have just had a week of being unable to hear but got that sorted by having my ears syringed. Was feeling that I'd finally turned a corner but that same afternoon, I suddenly had a problem with my vision. Had weird black shapes in front of my eyes that seemed in 3D and moved with me. Hubby took me to optometrist yesterday and he says I have had a vitreous detachment and the black shapes are 'floaters'. Nowt they can do but probably best I avoid boxing and trampolining.....gosh, how will I survive? Lol
Optometrist reckons I may have caused this through coughing hard. The Glandular Fever has left me with a feeling of my throat being partially blocked. It's not sore but it causes me to cough quite a lot, especially when eating and I wondered if this might have been behind the eye problem.
I didn't realise floaters are so common. They are not painful but I imagine it is a bit like having a snow-globe in your eye. Optometrist says things can 'settle' for a while, if you are lucky but those weird black shapes (my biggest one is like a cloud) can just as easily float into view again.