1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 and Glandular Fever

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by chocoholic, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Ali H

Ali H Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi, I had glandular fever when I was 22 and I didn't have diabetes back then but I did have a very sore mouth and throat. Get your GP to check you don't have oral thrush, it is quite common in GF patients. Get well soon, feel for you.

Ali

• Like Like x 2
  2. MsPrim

MsPrim Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Glandular Fever is awful - i had it when i was 10 years old. I was off school for six weeks. Even though i am 38 years old i remember that time well as i had never been so sick before then. I didn't have diabetes then or any other health problems at that time, luckily.

I hope you feel better soon chocoholic ;)

3. chocoholic

chocoholic · Well-Known Member

Thank you for kind wishes msprim. I have spent two months in bed but after a couple of bad relapses, I AM now getting back on my feet a bit. I have just had a week of being unable to hear but got that sorted by having my ears syringed. Was feeling that I'd finally turned a corner but that same afternoon, I suddenly had a problem with my vision. Had weird black shapes in front of my eyes that seemed in 3D and moved with me. Hubby took me to optometrist yesterday and he says I have had a vitreous detachment and the black shapes are 'floaters'. Nowt they can do but probably best I avoid boxing and trampolining.....gosh, how will I survive? Lol
    Optometrist reckons I may have caused this through coughing hard. The Glandular Fever has left me with a feeling of my throat being partially blocked. It's not sore but it causes me to cough quite a lot, especially when eating and I wondered if this might have been behind the eye problem.
    I didn't realise floaters are so common. They are not painful but I imagine it is a bit like having a snow-globe in your eye. Optometrist says things can 'settle' for a while, if you are lucky but those weird black shapes (my biggest one is like a cloud) can just as easily float into view again.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook