Type 1 and infected small cut on arm..

coolpot

Hi all,

I am type one, and have been for about 10years. im now 28.
my control isnt great 2bh, i dont get lows, but thats because i tend to run a bit higher than perhaps ideal :/..

I have had a small cut, well it was more of a scratch really that removed a layer of skin, it got slightly infected just a bit red around outside and the usual yellowish color on inside, i went to chemist, as it hadnt cleared after 4 weeks, he said i would need oral antibiotics, so i went to the docs, and they wouldnt give me that, and gave me a antibiotic gel to put on it called Fucidin.

Ive been using that 3 times a day since thursday, its now sunday, havent realy noticed it being any better, should i try that a bit longer? or try go back to the docs to push for the oral antibiotic route?

thanks in advance, steve.

coolpot

i know your right.

when at docs i mentioned i need better control - asked for a Dafne course, as most people think they are good.
he is going to refer me as they do them at my local hosp.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Coolpot,

I would go back and see your gp. CarbsRok is right, you need to bring your control down to normal levels, the sooner the better, as infections do tend to take longer to heal with pro-longed elevated bg's, and can lead to many more serious conditions.

The DAFNE course is highly recommended by many on here, including myself, so why don't you ask your dsn about courses in your area.

Regards

Nigel

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Coolpot
Nothing will heal until you get your blood sugar under control preferably around the 5 level, although that's an ideal.
Antiseptic cream is old fashioned, but usually effective. Keep the wound clean and if necessary wash it wih an antiseptic lotion.
However Most bacteria LOVE sugar, which is why they're flourishing. Cut the carbs and starve them out
Hana

coolpot

hi, thanks for advice.

already started bringing them down, i know on this forum you are all pretty tightly controlled, or majority for sure so im sure these numbers wont sound so good, but they are for me, 11 at lunch and 7.9 just now before tea.

2bh id imagine i was averaging about 12-14..best sort it out properly now huh :(

will go see GP anyway so i can get this referal for dafne sorted for sure.

steve.

jopar

Coolpot

Fucidin is a steriod antibacterial cream used for verious skin infection, so the cream may raise your BG a bit being a steriod... If the infection doesn't seem to be clearing you really need to go back to docs, he may decide to swab the wound to see what find a more specific antibiotic..

While you at the doctors, ask about getting an appointment at the diabetic clinic or if he can arrange for you to do DAFNE, which is a very good course indeed, I've been on it myself and reccomend it highly

CarbsRok has given you some very good links to get yourself started with control, I would also suggest investing in either one of these books, Think like a Pancreas or Using Insulin also invest in a carb counting book like Gem's carb counter very useful and a must and of cause a set of wieghing scales...

Remember you are more likely to achieve smaller goals than large steps, and Rome wasn't built in a day..

broads

I had an insect bite that became infected after I knocked it and it ended up as an open wound. I was toing and froing to the nurses at the surgery for a year with it. They mainly just cleaned and dressed it After about a year I saw a different nurse who took one look at it and said she would apply a zinc dressing. Within a week it had started to heal and within a fortnight was fine. It did leave a scar but you can't have everything.

PS I am type 2 diet and exercise only

A

Anonymous

Enough of the 'handbags' please, both your posts CarbsRok and Hanadr are not what we wish to see on the forum. The insults must stop and both of you return to the original topic.

Your last two posts are going to be deleted after I have posted this message. Please do not repeat this behaviour as it may lead to suspensions and / or other actions.

Mod 3.

Edit:
After reviewing other previous posts, they too have been deleted.

leather_ferret

Dislikes
Doctors who think they know more than they do and are too arrogant to refer you on when they reach the limits of their ability.
Celebratory status, insane wages high fashion and womens make-up
(I'll get shot syaing things like that! :o))
....... and back to the topic :D

Hi Steve,

Far too new to diabetes to comment on target BGLs but an old hand at keeping wounds free of infection in my non-diabetic days
I have worked in fishing, farming, coalmines and sewer repairs and had numerous and often quite nasty cuts on the way. My old fashiond GP told me 40 odd years ago to always pack an open wound in salt for 15 minutes (now that can blow the wax out of your ears !) and thereafter, to cleanse with strong salt solution several times a day, but otherwise keep the wound dry. Might be old fashioned but it has always worked for me.
Now I am diabetic, I would certainly be looking for further intervention should one go bad on me, .... but would keep up the salt anyway..... old habits die hard :D

I think that since your infection is well established , you do need to see the docs asap.

Be good and be lucky

Dave